HD XR1200 tracker vs Triumph Thruxton cafe

racerdave

^ Gone not forgotten ^
Reaction score
HD XR1200 tracker vs Triumph Thruxton cafe vs Bonneville

Considering buying one or the other of these. I like the styling of both, although they are not the same "class". Prefer the 09 orange XR, and the 12 red Thrux. I would want more of a Superbike type handle bar on the Thrux. Anyone have experience with either? Pro's and Cons? Looking at just backroad daily riding from either.

Last edited:
Have you ridden a thrux yet ? Pretty laid out as far as seating goes. As bad as modern sport bike. I would buy a bonnie just for the more relaxed seating position. I had a Ducati sportclassic gt1000 and i regret selling that one...had the nice hard bags and all.

Id have to ride an xr too see if i would donate any money to hd. Alot of good retro bikes out there now. Guzzi v7, bonnie, enfield find a w650 as i dont think w800 is in usa....ducati sc line.

I have not rode either. Just from looking at the trux, that is why I mentioned a higher Superbike type bar. I have sat on the XR. I don't disagree on the Bonnie, but it needs wire wheels on it. I don't like the Bonnie T100

This was at rockers and mods last weekend.

Def a crowd fave. My vote goes to the HD, those triumphs are dainty.

8628704088_68c80d1618_b.jpg

I own a 2012 thruxton and its my daily driver. It's comfortable for about 30-40 miles, then it gets a little uncomfortable, but manageable. Overall I love the bike. I feel the riding position is nowhere near a crotch rocket stance like has been implied above. When I was in the market for a new bike, I also looked at and test drove the xr1200. To me, there was no comparison, With the thruxton being the winner in my mind. The xr1200 was always the bastard child in Harley's lineup- kinda like buell was. They never seemed to market it, and it died off quietly. A shame, in my opinion. Of the two bikes, I think the harley has the bigger potential of being a collector, cult- type following bike. But,,, the harley is definitely heavy and slow.

The bonneville is a nice bike too, no question, but when you see one sitting next to the thruxton, you would pick the thruxton every time. the wheels are too small on the bonny and it just looks small in comparison. If you are worried about the thruxton driving position, throw some different bars on it. The newer EFI thruxtons no longer use clipons, so the driving position is much milder than the older ones. Go to the triumph rat forum and there is lots of info. Thruxton has a lot of aftermarket support available too - dime city cycles even has a whole line of thruxton parts now.
Here's a pic of mine.
DSC_0254.jpg

Last edited:
sbaugz, yours with some taller bars would fit my desire. Do you think a 3 inch or so rise bar like a Daytona or Superbike bend, would work with the oem cables and mc? Would the footpegs then be too far back? Wire wheels, red paint, and twin reverse cone megaphone make that bike IMHO.

Here is a link to check out. There are several companies that make superbike conversion kits. I know the lsl kit includes extended cables.
http://www.spieglerusa.com/controls/handlebar-conversion.html

Also check out www.triumphrat.net
There is a whole section on thruxtons with lots of mods shown. Mine is shown above with the Maund FEK (fender eliminator kit) and the flyscreen. I also recently put British customs predator slip ons .

sbaugz, thanks for all the help

1 definite advantage to the Thrux or even a Bonnie, is lighter weight than the XR. Riiding a 2010 HD Roadglide, I know about weight!

The guy I bought my Scrambler from repaced it with an XR1200 then tried to buy the Scrambler back a few months later when He decided He hated the XR. Same complaints as above, Poor suspension and uncomfortable to ride any distance.

I really wanted a Thruxton a few years back but my old guy back made me buy a bike with a little more relaxed riding postion.I have been happy with my Triumph. Its got close to 20K now with zero problems.

How about a Buell? You can buy them cheap and I think they really got the suspension and handling right in the later models. I nearly bought one in 2010 after a test ride but the HD dealer was such a dick I decided to pass.

FuriousD, I have a old guy back myself, and admit that off the showroom floor, a Bonnie/SE would be more to my riding comfort style. Did the cafe/crotch rocket thing back when you had to make one, not walk in and buy one. A more relaxed riding position is why I would defiantly swap a higher bar on the Thrux. As far as Bonnie's go, I don't like the exhaust at all on the T100, and that is more to change than bars for sure. The std Bonnie or SE doesn't have wire wheels, which I want for that classic look, but has a nice looking upswept exhaust. I pipe per side is also a look I want.

Decided if I buy, a std Bonnie will be the one. Used seem to hold some value. List on a new 13 Bonnie is $7699. A few 09 and 10's are asking for $6500 each.

either one will be nice Dave.
Iv riden both and I would have either.
The FI fake carbs do look great IMO.
I do love them Triumps.
I have a Daytona and it rocks!:thumbsup:

Back