He used a throttle housing for a spacer...

Stone

Just Livin
Reaction score
After recently taking apart the 78 to paint and modify just a wee bit it seems that some of my "vibration" concerns/issues are starting to make sense. :mad::doh:

The bike has mag wheels, disc up front and drum out back. On the side of the front wheel that does not have the disc on it, what the hell goes there...I know its gotta be some kind of spacer? does anyone know A) what it is and B) where the hell to get one haha. I don't know what the hell this thing is that the PO had there but its off just a wee bit. I think its an old throttle housing?? :cussing:

Im pretty happy that we tore this bike all the way down, this is not the only thing that we have found that is "off"

Any help would be frickin phenomenal, thanks

Well, at least he put SOMEthing there. PO's are great.

Well, to answer your question, I think it's the speedo driver. Yeah, it takes up space and if its not there, yeah, you need a substitute. Maybe a mason jar lid or part of a toilet paper roll. Nah, water would ruin it.

BTW, you can go here for a parts fiche: http://www.biker.net/650parts_index.html

Ummmmm - why not get the right part. I found that part at a local motorcycle shop that sells Yamaha parts. Pretty cheap too.

Good luck!

haha your right while that is a phenomenal idea, im not running a speedo and was just curious to see if there was something else. I guess ill have to make something if i want a substitute.

You could use like 30 washers. That would be sweet! Especially if you pass it on to someone else... They'd love you for it.

ill bet it has the correct piece in their, it weirdly looks kinda like the beveled part of a throttle housing

ill bet it has the correct piece in their, it weirdly looks kinda like the beveled part of a throttle housing

i thought that to after lookin at that link but i remember it didnt fit just right it was a tiny bit to big?? maybe its supposed to be a tad bigger?

then again im just the newb readin the book you guys wrote it!!:D

does it have a slot in it that matches the raised rectangle on the inside of the fork on that side? in other words, its there to keep the housing from rotating, on the opposite side of the slot, the rim side, there will be 2 tabs protruding that fit into the rim, these turn with the rim while the housing stays stationary.

negative ghost rider, no slots that I recall. I will check with maverick and goose though just to be sure. :laugh:

What I used as a spacer on my front wheel, I just used the speedo drive and capped off the threaded end so dirt can't get in. Seems to work ok.

negative ghost rider, no slots that I recall. I will check with maverick and goose though just to be sure. :laugh:

I am betting it does, I cant see someone going through the hassles of installing a throttle housing that doesn't have any innards, is waaaaay to wide and has incorrect shaft size and basically hollow, doesn't make sense when it seems it would be easier to make a spacer out of pipe if your "hobo-ing" it

I am betting it does, I cant see someone going through the hassles of installing a throttle housing that doesn't have any innards, is waaaaay to wide and has incorrect shaft size and basically hollow, doesn't make sense when it seems it would be easier to make a spacer out of pipe if your "hobo-ing" it

you are probably correct. I cant exactly walk out in the garage and check but thanks for the help! however with the other shit that we have found on this bike, I wouldn't be surprised.

just found this and thought id post it in here

http://www.shop.lcfabrications.com/product.sc?productId=18&categoryId=4

it was under the "new british" section but any body know if it would work?

That looks like it would work, you would have to check the axle size and the inner diameter of the wheel hub where the dust seal goes, if they're measure up to the same size it would make a trick spacer. Far cooler than what I did. I just blocked off where the cable runs in.. Which reminds me,I did the same thing for the tach, but I have a wicked leak where the spacer slides into the engine that I need to figure out..

I did the same thing, didnt want to bother with trying to make my own spacer at the time cause I just wanted to ride. Trick is right man although $55.00 is a little steep for my college student budget. I would like to get off my strict PB&J diet first. :D

I hear ya, I'm in school too, so everything is getting done on the cheap.. Thank god for walmart with their awesome spray paint assortment!

Back