Head bolts

Upstate Steve

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi there everybody, Looking for some help with my build. It seems I have misplaced the four head bolts at the front and rear of the head that thread into the jug. Does anyone know where I could find these bolts, or what size they might be? Thank you in advance!

Googled Mr Jetmechmartys partnumber
Here in Europe M6 M8 M10 is available everywhere it is a standard bolt much used
( Now I am not certain if this has the standard Pitch but It is likely ,nor do I know the strength of stock )
So I could go in at half Dozen Hardware and Construction Automotive suppliers within 5 miles from where I live buying a Package of these bolts
off the Shelf. over the Counter .No Freight and for $ 6 would get about 5 of them I believe.
Since they are common sizes a well stocked supplier near you can have those.

These bolts aren't anything special, they're not hardened or anything, so I don't see the need to pay Yamaha $6 each for them. You might consider stainless Allens instead. You could get enough for 2 bikes for not much more than one bolt from Yamaha .....

https://www.mcmaster.com/91292A209/
That's a great price.
Hi there everybody, Looking for some help with my build. It seems I have misplaced the four head bolts at the front and rear of the head that thread into the jug. Does anyone know where I could find these bolts, or what size they might be? Thank you in advance!
If you want, I'll sell you four good used original bolts for $13, including shipping. PM me if interested.

These bolts aren't anything special, they're not hardened or anything, so I don't see the need to pay Yamaha $6 each for them. You might consider stainless Allens instead. You could get enough for 2 bikes for not much more than one bolt from Yamaha .....

https://www.mcmaster.com/91292A209/
Do you know the thread length of the original bolt? I’m asking if you matched it to the original bolt. Thanks, as usual.

No I don't off hand, that's something I'll need to check. No, I didn't match it to an original.

Perhaps a full length threaded works equally well ..
It is a bit of a redneck solution ,,I don't remember where the locating studs sit.
But designing practice is that something locates the parts cylinder and cylinder head ..pins or studs ..
And the fastener holes have some freeplay.In upper part ( larger than the bolt )
Making it possible to get all the bolts in with the parts located not sliding around.
That freeplay then makes that the bolt shaft will not hit any metal unthreaded or threaded

Makes me remember a work colleague in Air condition installations
we had a flatbar square . flange about 600 x 600 mm
There was holes drilled through both of them flange parts sitting together . at the shop
So at site it was taken apart and the sheet metal of the duct was hammered over the edge and then bolts inserted and tightened it up.
But he forgot to mark it up ..when he separated them so after hammering over the sheet metal he had turned the one flange part
relative the other and then all the bolts would not go in .

This excerpt from an old parts manual shows the change over from the 50mm (XS1) to the 60mm long (XS2) top cover bolts .....

x0oySxc.jpg

..... and here's the McMaster-Carr listing for stainless Allen replacements .....

lyZpsvf.gif

I see you copper washered all the large acorn nuts? No need for that, the inner 4 don't flow oil in their studs so plain steel washers are fine there.

I see you copper washered all the large acorn nuts? No need for that, the inner 4 don't flow oil in their studs so plain steel washers are fine there.
Yes, I know. I got a little careless and put the copper on the wrong four. Once they’re smashed, they don’t come off easily.
BTW, I acquired those washers from a link posted by @5twins. You’re a good source of info. Thanks!

Back