Head Breather..

Renegade600

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I have a pretty simple question that has me scratching my head.

I have '82 Heritige that I'm assembling from a box of incomplete parts (bike is also stripped for a bobber.

I have the head breather port, but so not have any of the hoses, or where they are supposed to go.

So where does the breather hook to? The old air box. And since i do not have an air box, can I just run the hose out snd to the ground? Should i put a filter on it?

Thanks guys...Tom

You can just run them down to the ground or put a filter on them. Up to you.

You can also use a one way valve in the breather tube to keep grime from being sucked into the head. You can find out which one to install by using the search function. This question is asked atleast once a week it seems.

Thanks....I was thinking that may be the case. All i have to go on is the crap illustration in the Haynes manual, and no parts in my hand....didn't know if it needed to be somehow ported to the carbs to work properly or not...
Tom

I'd say definitely put a little breather filter on it. If you don't like the length of the factory hose you can get a new one at any hardware store and run it out of the way. I know the factory ones can be a little short if you are really looking to hide it down low. It's a couple bucks for a filter, and gives you piece of mind. My filter even had a little eyelet so you could zit tie it to the frame wherever.

Back