Head gasket for 3rd oversize piston?

boobaloojones

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nevermind the head gasket question, figured that out already. After a little snooping I get the feeling that the 3rd oversize pistons won't work for a 80xs. Is this true? Or can I bore it out to the 3rd piston range?

Last edited:
MikesXS has up to 4th oversize(1mm) piston and rings and a 6th oversize rings. 447 engines

Last edited:
i got the 1.5 over piston kit from mikes a few years ago, but he no has them anymore.your going to have to either buy the 3rd kit, or bore what you got.

Not sure where you heard that, apart from the ignition the engine is the same, it'll go to 78mm on standard liners, 80/ 81mm with new liners, or bigger with alot of work

Mike's used to sell a 12th over set of pistons and rings. This is the 78 mm piston size. I think that took it out to 707 cc's This set fit from 74 up, just bore the stock jugs to match the pistons.
Any bigger and you need to resleeve the jugs. . As in remove the old sleeves, rebore the jugs to match the bigger sleeves then install the bigger sleeves.
That was the procees untill Heiden developed the 750 kit that Mike's sells. This is still how thw even bigger engines are built. Bigger bores and with stroker cranks getting over 1000 cc's.
Leo

Oh, as to head gaskets I don't think up to 4 to 6 over the stock gasket will be fine. If you go to a 12 over or larger then a different gasket might be a good idea. There are several places that build custom copper gasket cut to match any bore and in a choise of thicknesses to match what ever compression ratio you want. As in thinner is more CR, thicker is less CR.
I don't have links to these places to get the headgaskets, but I'm sure others on here can supply them.
Leo

Back