Head Shake

Have you checked or replaced the steering bearings? Are they notchy or self centering with the front wheel in the air? do you feel hear click/clunk when the front brake is applied when riding?
You have a few things that may make it more likely to shake, the front fender also acts as a fork brace, Yamaha used a piece of steel inside the fender to help stiffen the fork. That front tire looks pretty big for the rim. tall and narrow is less stable than fat and short.

Lleonardo, When you got new tires did the problem get better for awhile, stay the same or get worse? Have you checked your bearings? Is your axle and wheel true? Who did the hardtail, you or a pro? What condition are the forks in? How's your fork oil? Springs? I know I've asked a lot of questions and hopefully with your answers we can rule a lot of these problems out and pin it down, send pics and info, cheers

It never got better when I put the new tires on. I bought the bike about 80% done. I posted a pic hopefully you guys can see something that I don't know about. Thank you

Were tires, wheels balanced, check spokes are tight?
Correct spacers in the rear wheel? Leaving out a LR rear bearing sleeve has been real popular on these bikes. tight string wheel alignment done?
All frame welds checked and rechecked?

Have you checked or replaced the steering bearings? Are they notchy or self centering with the front wheel in the air? do you feel hear click/clunk when the front brake is applied when riding?
You have a few things that may make it more likely to shake, the front fender also acts as a fork brace, Yamaha used a piece of steel inside the fender to help stiffen the fork. That front tire looks pretty big for the rim. tall and narrow is less stable than fat and short.

Haven't checked the steering bearings yet and not really sure what you mean by notchy or Self centering. I'm very new on this type of bikes

Were tires, wheels balanced, check spokes are tight?
Correct spacers in the rear wheel? Leaving out a LR rear bearing sleeve has been real popular on these bikes. tight string wheel alignment done?
All frame welds checked and rechecked?

Wow! Really didn't know that all thing could cause the shakes on the bike.

With the wheel in the air the fork should turn smoothly side to side, no bumpy or notchy feeling. it should not "self center", it should turn past center without wanting to stop or stay centered. There should be a slight resistance to turning, it shouldn't flop over to the side.

Yeah it isn't always where it seems like it's coming from. I had a CB1100F with "fork problems" finally tracked it down to a bad rear wheel bearing, the fork was magically fixed.

With the wheel in the air the fork should turn smoothly side to side, no bumpy or notchy feeling. it should not "self center", it should turn past center without wanting to stop or stay centered. There should be a slight resistance to turning, it shouldn't flop over to the side.

I haven't tried that but If that's the case is that mean I have to change steering bearings.

Yeah it isn't always where it seems like it's coming from. I had a CB1100F with "fork problems" finally tracked it down to a bad rear wheel bearing, the fork was magically fixed.

How long does the wheel bearings normally last for? I found the builder on my bike and he said that the wheel bearings was replaced 5 years ago

get the bike on a stand start shaking and wiggling, get real suspicious of any thing that moves sideways. You have a 30+ year old motorcycle that has an unknown history and HEAVY modifications All you can do is start checking and eliminating maybes or take it to a motorcycle restoration or speed shop not a chop shop. Then just tell them how it acts, make no suggestions of what you think it might be. Chances are a pro will get it narrowed down pretty quick.
I replaced steering bearings on a 1999 royal star venture with 15K miles and a 2004 FJR with 48K miles this winter they both needed the new bearings. You can see the Royal Star tapered races were dented.

DSCN6730.JPG

I assume any XS650 in my shop needs new steering bearings. I'm nearly always right about that. The stock ball bearing in an XS dent quickly. But again you have to check the list, we can't tell from here which is creating you issue. I had a bad tire on an XS650 last year had to replace it.

Q: What 's most likely to be the problem on your motorcycle?
A: The last thing you worked on.

Finally; trust nothing the PO says he might be telling the truth, but verify everything. I have met loads of "alternative facts" motorcycle sellers through the years.

get the bike on a stand start shaking and wiggling, get real suspicious of any thing that moves sideways. You have a 30+ year old motorcycle that has an unknown history and HEAVY modifications All you can do is start checking and eliminating maybes or take it to a motorcycle restoration or speed shop not a chop shop. Then just tell them how it acts, make no suggestions of what you think it might be. Chances are a pro will get it narrowed down pretty quick.
I replaced steering bearings on a 1999 royal star venture with 15K miles and a 2004 FJR with 48K miles this winter they both needed the new bearings. You can see the Royal Star tapered races were dented.

View attachment 95381

I assume any XS650 in my shop needs new steering bearings. I'm nearly always right about that. The stock ball bearing in an XS dent quickly. But again you have to check the list, we can't tell from here which is creating you issue. I had a bad tire on an XS650 last year had to replace it.

Q: What 's most likely to be the problem on your motorcycle?
A: The last thing you worked on.

Finally; trust nothing the PO says he might be telling the truth, but verify everything. I have met loads of "alternative facts" motorcycle sellers through the years.

Should I get a tapered head steering bearings or just the regular one? What would you recommend

Should I get a tapered head steering bearings or just the regular one? What would you recommend
Tapered bearings from all balls racing, but Gary nailed it, diagnose first, don't just throw parts at it like some street rat hack, she's an older gal your gonna have to get to know her in and out to keep her happy

Back