Headlamp interchange XS2?

Huszarail

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm about to start the restoration of a 1972 XS2 and the bike doesn't have a headlight assembly (last owner ran a fairing before it was parked 20yrs ago).
Can anybody advise me as to the changes to the XS series headlamps? Am I stuck with XS1 /XS2 assemblies to get the right one or can I use one for a later bike?
I want the correct look for the shell and rim and I plan to upgrade the lighting.
I appreciate any advice that comes my way.
Mark.

Hi, Mark. Welcome to the forum. The key feature to look for with these early headlamps is the deep clearancing in the shell for the instrument cables. Our early bikes had the cables exiting straight out the back of the instruments, requiring this clearance. Later models used angled exit instruments, less clearance requirements...

Thanks for your speedy replies Gents. All valueable info, I figured I'd be stuck with the 70-74 deal. The search goes on.
Really enjoyed your instrument resto thread TwomanyXS1Bs by the way.:thumbsup:

Oh another question. If I can get a 70-73 headlamp shell would I be able to fit it out from more available later parts?

Last edited:
Haha, glad you enjoyed that! Excruciating detail.

Here's a 70-73 headlamp parts fiche. This stuff is unique, 256 code. All later parts are different.

Attachments

• 70-73_headlight.pdf
    78.6 KB · Views: 70
Back