headlight high. Low. Off?

Luckydog

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm mocking up a wiring harness and had a question about the stock lighting switch on an 83 heritage. I'm trying to figure out the headlight wiring using a mix of the old harness into the switch - to new leads going to the headlight. It looks like power in to the switch is a blue wire with a yellow stripe. After the switch is green low beams, yellow high beams. Is this right? Seems to be working correctly. But my question is does the headlight always stay on when the ignition is on? Thanks! Still very much a newb.:confused:

It's been so long since mine was stock I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure there is no off selection available.I think on mine the head light didn't come on with the key switched on but lite after starting engine.

It's been so long since mine was stock I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure there is no off selection available.I think on mine the head light didn't come on with the key switched on but lite after starting engine.

I believe this is correct - there is a relay that doesn't turn on until there is juice from the alternator. The switch on the bars is simply high/low.

yup the relay feeds the hi low switch.

The right hand control from an earlier bike has a headlight on off switch 74-77ish

'78 also has the on-off switch, last year for it. '76-'78 will give you the single throttle cable housing.

Back