headlight is on the blink!!

doubletrouble

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 81' H has a new problem. the headlight cut out a few times the other night. Now when i start the bike it takes about 5 seconds to come on and it usuallt stays on. I have a LED volt gauge letting me know my charging system is good with a full battery. My fuses are good. I cleaned the connections inside headlight bucket and hi/low switch. When the light was working i bypassed reserve lighting unit and it came on. Also bypassed R.L.U. when the headlight was out and it stayed off.
Time to dig deeper.....Any suggestions??? relays?
It seems like a bad connection somewhere to me....

thanks for any help!!

If everything else checks out maybe have a look at the safety relay connections. It keeps the headlight off until the bike starts and starts producing current from the charging system.

I don't think the later safety relay's can be opened up. I would just replace it.
You can by pass the headlight part of the safety relay by jumpering the red/yellow to the blue/black at the relay.
This will light the headlight when you turn the key on.
Leo

Here's an insider hint; check your brushes. You may have just bypassed the first warning that you are going to be pushing the bike home some night...... Heres a second suggestion, wiggle all the fuse holders in your fuse box, check that they are holding the fuses strongly. REPLACE the fuses, old fuses can LOOK good. It could be the relay is the problem but I smell that you haven't found the REAL cause yet.

The earlier four wire relays only controlled starter function.
This bypass indicates the relay you have is bad.
I don't think you can repair it. Won't hurt to try.
I just might put a wanted ad in the classified on here. Lots of people delete the relay, maybe someone has one that you can get cheap.
Leo

I would do the wire shaking test before removing anything! My light was doing the same, it was do to a loose spring in my inline fuse holder. Swapping it out for a inline blade fuse holder! just my two cents, but remember anytime you remove anything on an XS you might just be sabotaging your self later (literaly) down the road! Good luck!

Replaced my headlight but didn't realize the park light has its own bulb and clear area in the reflector. Want to change to a smaller light since won't ride at night. Any nice options.

Back