HeadLight Relay

tbone1980

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I don't need the headlight relay do I? Or I guess the better question is what is the headlight relay? I am doing my own custom wire job.

You're correct, you don't need a headlight relay. Up to about 1977 only a switch was used. In 1978 they started using part of the safety relay to turn on the headlight. The safety relay (activated from the alternator yellow wire) , once the engine is running, does 2 things.............turns on the headlight and cuts out the starter motor.

I like having the safety relay on my 78SE. The 78SE also has a "Lights" switch, which can be used to have the headlight/meter lights on when the engine is not running. The 79SF and later years do not have a "Lights" switch; they just use the safety relay.

You don't need the stock headlight relay but if you use an H4 55/60 watt, there are gains to be made by installing a regular relay and larger gauge wire directly from the battery to the headlight.
Easy and cheap!

I'm not sure what headlight I will be running yet but I do know it won't be the stock housing or bulb. I am not running a starter on my bike so the the safety relay isn't a big deal but I think on my 82 it has a separate relay for the starter relay. Thanks for all of the help!

tbone1980;

Yes, the 82 model has a separate relay, called the Starter Lockout Relay. It also has a Safety Relay. 82 and 83 had many interlocks, and the wiring got a little complicated. See page 160 in the Haynes Manual.

KeithB;

Some good points there. The headlight draws a large current flow. Keeping the resistance low will give a brighter headlight. A relay with heavy wiring gauge direct from the battery (such as #14 gauge) will give full voltage to the headlight.

I found (in a 1980 model) that Yamaha used only #19 gauge for headlight wiring. The current flow (heat) had actually melted the insulation and shorted wires together. If doing headlight wiring using a switch only,be sure to use #16 gauge or heavier.

Hello,

I have installed an HID headlight on my '02 and in order to bet it to work properly am going to have to bypasss the Light Relay.

After reading this thread and the one on the Safety Relay, I have figured out that this can be accomplisehd by looping the "BL & RY" wires on this schematic.

Any Thoughts?

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 501
Back