Headpipe question(s)....

mrpink

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking to ditch the stock trumpet exhaust on my 650...

I like the look of the 2-2 headpipes. Is there any difference between the MAC 1.5" headpipes and the XS Performance 1.5" headpipes? The only thing I can see is like 2" of length. The shape and build look very similar, if not identical. Any comparisons of these to the XS Performance 1.75 SS pipes? If I go with the chrome pipes, I will end up media blasting them and powder coating them satin black, but the SS pipes I would not need this step.

What is everyones thoughts on EPO's? Are they worth it? If I were to install baffles, would the EPO's be a benefit or hindrance? Do EPO's do the same thing as baffles? I would like to keep the power band as low as I can while still getting the look and sound I want (if at all possible).

Any other suggestions/comments... I am open to new ideas.

thanks

matt

I think the XS Performance pipes are better. I've had the MACs for a couple years now. When I got them, they were about all that was available. Mike didn't sell the XS Performance ones yet. We just installed a set of the XS Performance pipes on my buddy's bike and they're very nice. My MACs are thinner walled, didn't seal as well, and have a flat plate collar at the head. I wouldn't recommend the 1 3/4" stainless ones for what you want. The larger diameter will move the power band up higher in the RPM range - exactly what you're not looking for. They work good on race bikes but not as well on the street.

On the Rocket Dog I put adjustable lollipop baffles in my own 2-2's.
Rocket4.jpg

You might also think about Rocky Mountain Performance's Quiet Riot baffles. http://www.rocky-mountain-performance.com/ They morph according to the back pressure as you accelerate. I used them on my VStar 1100 with good results.

I have looked at the Quiet Riot baffles in the past, but after seeing the price I sort of discounted them as an option. Thinking now, $170 is not that much for a quality part that does what it says.

Does anyone have a video or sound clip of these things installed in a 650?

Would running the 1.75 SS XS Performance headpipes and Quiet Riots be a good setup?

Still looking for some feedback on the EPOs....

thanks for the responses!

matt

Back