Heat wrap length?

lassenc

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Looking at wrapping my stock headers.

How much wrap did you use on yours?

It really matters how long the head pipes are and how you wrap them. If you wrap them tight, by wetting the wrap, you may need less then if you wrap them with only a 1/4 "overlap" and loose. I bought 2 rolls of white. I really don't know how much I used. The stuff I had left over I wrapped my lawn mower pipes to make it look neat.
I will suggest that you start from the back of the pipes (tail end) and work forward. This makes the overlap lay on the wrap better. If you started from the front, and worked backwards, the overlap lays forward, thus making it catch the wind. After time it starts to roll-up. Looks like shit.

That is a good suggestion, to be starting from the back. I'm going to wet it and then take some metal wire and to a tighten and twist on it. It looks way better than clamps!

Lowbrow customs has a "tech tip" on how to do it, but....
how-to-install-exhaust-wrap-photo-3.jpg

...as you can see the edges will roll back after time.

The edges will roll either way you do it... Wrapping it backwards would just look odd, to me at least. The best way to prevent this is to keep a nice tight wrap, especially around the bends...

I wrapped my Gordon Scott pipes over the weekend, here are some photos...

5562023467_2761dd1db8.jpg
DSC_0297ww by Matt Francosky, on Flickr

5562594808_c1667d1bbe.jpg
DSC_0330ww by Matt Francosky, on Flickr

5562600942_20c5b8a977.jpg
DSC_0277ww by Matt Francosky, on Flickr

I used 25 ft of DEI Titianuim wrap. I bought 25 ft, and used ALL 25 ft! I had to re-wrap them a few times to get the overlap just right. The way I did it was I tied one end around a support pole in my basement, walked back until the wrap was tight and straight, and then started to spin my pipes keeping constant tension everything. When I got to the end, a few stainless ties kept it all in place. Total time was about 45min.

DEI has a wrap estimator on their site... http://www.designengineering.com/nitrous_calcs/wrap_calc.html

Be sure to add for bends, they really eat up wrap.

p!nK

I wrapped mine, front to rear, first (dry wrap). 350 miles later the edges were rolled back from the wind and full of road dirt that got caught in them. I have about 600 on the new wrap (wet wrap) and its nice and firm. Didn't unroll or roll-up. I also originally used black, which fades out real quick. The white I have now stayed white, for the most part. A little white wall bleach on a rag cleans it up fairly well.

It is a good thing to check with the wrap manufacturer as to their recommended installation procedure. DEI wrap does not need to be pre-wet for a nice tight wrap, others I have researched highly recommend it.

I will keep a close eye on my wrapped pipes and report any issues.

p!nK

That is a good suggestion, to be starting from the back. I'm going to wet it and then take some metal wire and to a tighten and twist on it. It looks way better than clamps!

i wouldn't use metal wire, stainless steel ties are cheap and will look much better than wire, and it's cheap

i thought about using that DEI titanium wrap, sounded pretty good. think i'll wait til my headers start looking a little rougher though

I always tell people to put one end of the wrap in a vice on a bench and pull against it keeping the wrap very tight when wraping. I've only used DEI. I wouldn't wet it, personally. I tried it once and it was a huge mess. Not to mention the wrap lost a lot of it's black color. I can wrap them just as tight using the vice to hold the un wound end while I rotate the pipe keeping a lot of tension on the wrap.

Just my 2 cents

Kinda why I chose white / natural color. The black I had looked like total ass after riding in the rain a couple times. Made a clean bike look real cheap.

Yup, I confirm the suggestions above. I tried that black stuff and after some rides and some rain, it lost it's color and looked like crap. I have DEI Titanium wrap on my bobber with Gordon Scott's chopper mile high pipes. I've put a couple of hundred miles on the bike since I wrapped them and they still look great. I bought a 40 or 50 ft roll and had some extra left over.

I used the 1" wide tan colored wrap from Summit...didn't wet it, but put the pipe in a vise and wrapped it tight.

I did have some of the SS tie wraps but could not seem to get them as tight as i needed for whatever reason....so fo now it is the fugly hose clamps.

Pipes are some of Gordon Scotts....man they sound sweet....
Tom

2011-03-11180055.jpg

2011-03-27160048.jpg

Hey---"Our" Gordon Scott is alive and well!!! He lives in Orange,MA and his name is Scott Ferriera---tim

Sorry guys, it was the first thing that popped up. The other GS was over in England.

Sorry again guys!! I edited my post. I found the real Gordon site a minute later.

"backing out of the room, awkwardly..."

I wrapped front to back. As long as they're tight, they shouldn't catch anything (wind or crap).

I also sprayed with the black silicone spray to seal them. It seems to stiffen up the material a little. And, sure helps keep the ends from fraying...

6569915337_1ef2e49222_z.jpg

Rich

Back