Heathens

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Road signs are one of a number of fascinations in my motorcycle touring daytrips. West Fulton Rd in the northern Catskill Mountains region is a winding, endlessly-curving mountain road that offers up a rutty side turnoff named Heathen Creek Road.

Heathen Creek ?

Blenheim 005.JPG

I’ve needed to find the roots of this extraordinary road name for a couple years, and I finally pursued it.

The term “Heathen” is essentially a neutral word in its definition, meaning non-religious or pagan. However, the connotation of the word has become darker, more sinister, in modern culture.

As evidence, the motorcycle gang.

e4a311b5d9db5cacf67a99b9142b872a.jpg

...and the 21 Pilots song, "Heathens", which offers up this image.

all-my-friends-are-heathens-does-the-twenty-one-pilots-single-tell-us-more-about-suicide-squad.jpg

The only local association I can dredge up that might relate to this road dates back to 1970, at which time Peter Yarrow………. Remember Peter Yarrow? Singer in the Folk/Pop group, Peter, Paul and Mary?

(Warning: don’t listen to this video for more than 15 seconds, as it might become an annoying earworm for you, or it might even haunt your dreams….)

Well, he was an occasional resident of this area, having lived with his daughter, Bethany (also a singer, based in NYC), in a house just up the road a few miles from Heathen Creek. I discovered this fact when I drove by her residence in the fall of last year and spotted a “Barn Sale” happening in a well-preserved structure next to her home which for awhile was a country resort (“The Waterfall House”) where you could stay and experience Catskill Mountain Living. Barn on the right:

184732_10151275566618473_1241622104_n.jpg

The Barn Sale was unusual for the oil paintings laid out in the sun, psychedelic nudes done by a Cuban artist, and priced quite high for what was essentially a garage sale. $75 to $150. I passed on the paintings, but spotted a 1940’s era wood speaker, probably built for a restaurant or nightclub. I was afraid to ask what the seller wanted for it, but I did, and he answered, “how about a dollar?”

I couldn’t get it into the trunk of my Miata fast enough.
(upside-down picture to correct for its actual position on a wall)

002.JPG

He said it was from the personal collection of Peter Yarrow, a statement which I responded to with the sort of wry smile that you give someone who is probably pulling your leg. But he led me to a dusty collection of band equipment boxes plastered with “The Peter Yarrow Band” on their sides.

So, what of this guy and his heathenistic reputation? Peter Yarrow was convicted of molesting a 14 year old fan who came to his dressing room with her sister, and he spent 3 months in the slammer. Jimmy Carter actually pardoned him.

However, I’m thinking that all this occurred in relatively modern times, and an unlikely source for the road name.

Therefore, I contacted the Historical Society in nearby West Fulton, and spoke with a friendly and helpful Brian Goodfellow (yup, that's his name). He initially stated that a number of years back, a “city fellow” moved to Heathen Creek Road and took down the road sign late one night, replacing it with his hand-made sign, “Pleasant Valley Road.” But that didn’t last long. The road had History.

Apparently, back a number of generations, The Creek was the site of Baptisms. You went in a Heathen, and came out……….

b51441e5b68af745c7ea05--vintage-photos-pictures-of.jpg

So, do you have a local road sign that has captured your attention ?

Last edited:
Great Write up Dude ! makes me wonder about Deadman's gulch down the road LOL
or Iron mountain road...with all the old mine shafts in the hillside I thought they were gold mines ....I bet they were Iron mines now ! LOL
....that was before Redding was a One horse town ! 1800's easy.
it's always fun to learn new things about your surroundings .....
Bob.......

Your job, now, is to take your bike there for a photo of each :)
I have a picture I took at Big Bone Lick, but what it really needs is smell-o-vision. In these parts a "lick" is a place where animals, bison in particular, would lick and eat the ground for the mineral content. The "big bone" part refers to the huge quantity of large prehistoric bones found at that lick. It is a strong sulfur spring and when you get near it, the air really opens up your lungs. I love the smell, but then I also like the taste of sulfur water.

P.S. Here's the definitive photography of Rabbit Hash.
https://www.amazon.com/Rabbit-Hash-Center-Universe/dp/B002JLRFH4

Last edited:
Another great story Dude! I'm becoming a fan of local history. We pass right by so much and never realize the history that was there. I enjoy your write ups very much.
Cool score on the old speaker by the way.
But how did you pass up the Cuban psychedelic nudes without bringing one home!
:cool:

Another great story Dude! I'm becoming a fan of local history. We pass right by so much and never realize the history that was there. I enjoy your write ups very much.
:laugh2: There was one, actually, that had me a bit entranced. I couldn't fit it in the Miata, even if I could get the price down :(

figurative_art_abstract_nude_painting_female_paint_nudes__figurative__a9d3b44f570bfd722e436650da7691b1.jpg

A man can't have too many Xs650's, or nudes in his house.:)

9cd20359157aa9488dbcffc512f0cff1.jpg

Ever been to Rabbit Hash, Monkey's Eyebrow, or Big Bone Lick?

Been to Rabbit Hash and Big Bone but not to Monkey's Eyebrow.
Back between '89 and '92 when I finally escaped, I was working cable in Atlantic City. I had a call at a boarding house where there was this little drink of water with the cutest Kentucky accent, not over five foot tall, long salt and pepper straight hair. I said "Honey, where you from?"
She replied "Rabbit Hash Kentucky."
I said "What the hell you doin' here?"
" Lookin' for work." was her answer.
I knew where Rabbit Hash was so I told her she didn't need to be out here and that she really needed to get back home. I always wondered what became of her.
Big Bone Lick. There's a book called "Follow the River" that's about a woman , Mary Ingalls, that was captured by the Shawnee in present day West Virginia who then made her escape from the natives at Big Bone while on a salt making expedition. She couldn't swim so she back tracked every river, creek and stream that she came across until she could cross, following it back to the Ohio until she finally got back home. True story.

The old name for the ridge I live on is Tater Bug. Geographically on the maps you can find Tater Bug Hill but the ridge road has been changed over the years. The old locals still refer to up here as Tater Bug but there's no street sign to show it. History says that back in the early days there was a church revival and that the parishioners were "rolling around the aisles like tater bugs". The name stuck, or, the paper labeled the parishioners as such because the church was up on Tater Bug.

Been to Rabbit Hash and Big Bone but not to Monkey's Eyebrow.
Back between '89 and '92 when I finally escaped, I was working cable in Atlantic City. I had a call at a boarding house where there was this little drink of water with the cutest Kentucky accent, not over five foot tall, long salt and pepper straight hair. I said "Honey, where you from?"
She replied "Rabbit Hash Kentucky."
I said "What the hell you doin' here?"
" Lookin' for work." was her answer.
I knew where Rabbit Hash was so I told her she didn't need to be out here and that she really needed to get back home. I always wondered what became of her.
Big Bone Lick. There's a book called "Follow the River" that's about a woman , Mary Ingalls, that was captured by the Shawnee in present day West Virginia who then made her escape from the natives at Big Bone while on a salt making expedition. She couldn't swim so she back tracked every river, creek and stream that she came across until she could cross, following it back to the Ohio until she finally got back home. True story.

The old name for the ridge I live on is Tater Bug. Geographically on the maps you can find Tater Bug Hill but the ridge road has been changed over the years. The old locals still refer to up here as Tater Bug but there's no street sign to show it. History says that back in the early days there was a church revival and that the parishioners were "rolling around the aisles like tater bugs". The name stuck, or, the paper labeled the parishioners as such because the church was up on Tater Bug.
Great history !

Around here the indians had their last stand in caves.... they were pursued into extinction to the n'th degree ! after all they were indians !
there is captain' jacks stronghold east of us here, that they put up a good fight... but the end was inevitable.
and what's worse is our government still does this stuff..... the end of freedom in america ended with the Indians ability to roam freely from their demise came local laws that curb your ability to do anything from spitting on the sidewalk to cutting a tree for wood....there is just too damn many people here anymore !!!!!!
Bob......

Location, location, location, Bob Kelly III..........when your elected civil servants become the authority is the beginning of the end.....and that's all I got's to say about that.

I hear that ! .... LOCATION !!!! the further back in the woods you are the better off you are !
I think we need to Encourage Dude to get more riding done those pictures and stories are great ! LOL
Bob......

Back