Odd Places

nj1639

Paleo-simplistic
Top Contributor
Reaction score
downeasters thread on the bee sting reminded me of this, and so as not to hijack here goes....

There's a stretch of Highway 56 along the Ohio River that traverses through some old Mississipian Indian ground which includes a small mound or two. This section starts around the southern end of the Greenville Treaty Line and is about three miles long, pretty straight road aside from one slight bend, and goes through open farmland. Two miles or so into this stretch heading west, there's a tree lined dry creek bed that this road crosses, and just before this creek bed there's an old farmstead off to the right that was probably built in the early 1800's. According to rumors there's an old family graveyard that lies on the edge of this creek bed. Over the years the creek has encroached upon the graves as it carries storm rain run off.

Coming home from work I had just come through a couple "S" curves and was winding her out in third, heading east and towards the creek bed from the western edge of this stretch. Shifted to fourth getting her up to speed, hit fifth about the time I made the creek bed and was immediately blinded over the right eye. Totally. Now! Something had covered the right side of my face. There was a hint of green color as I reached up and swiped at whatever it was but my swipe cleared it.

The rest of the ride home was uneventful. I pulled up to the barn, shut her down, got off and saw IT still pressed against my sweatshirt where my swiping hand had left it. A sycamore leaf.

A couple years later there was a Mexican National who had disappeared while out riding his motorcycle. It was summertime, hot. They found him down in that creek bed a few days after he had gone missing and it wasn't by sight that found him.

Through the years there have been an inordinate amount of fatalities on this stretch of road.

Yeah, it was on this stretch of road when that white footed mouse decided to come out of hiding in my car just to jump on my shoulder and then run across my chest.........

Wow, a haunted "boobytrap" road.

Like that train crossing road in San Antonio. Stop in a certain spot, and mysterious forces push you off the "tracks".

https://www.thoughtco.com/the-haunted-railroad-crossing-2594186

Long ago, was motocrossing with some friends in a wooded area. I went thru a narrow area, trees/brush, and was immediately blinded. I had run smack-dab, face first, into a garden spider's web, and the spider was trapped between my face and the web. Spastic panic followed...

GardenSpider.jpg

Sounds like a haunted road. There was a famously haunted one connecting Lexington and Paris, Ky. Things like somebody running along beside your car, no matter how fast you went.

Back