Heavy Duty Cylinder Studs?

coma13

übermensch
Reaction score
Are there any companies that produce such a thing? I haven't taken the engine down, but I will be doing a full rebuild on a 1980 XS650 and I was wondering if higher compression and displacement ever warrant stronger cylinder studs?

It's very common on CB750s to upgrade the cylinder studs when making the engine hotter to combat head and base gasket leaks. It seems to me that the stressed member design of the XS650 engine mount would make leaks at those locations even more likely due to the back and forth torquing that the cylinder/head assembly must get when the frame flexes.

Is this a non issue? Am I missing something in the design of the engine since I haven't torn it down yet? Any help is appreciated!

I don't know of any companies that make stronger studs. I used the stock studs on my 750 kitted engine with the 9.4 or so compression ratio and no problems.
Just add a bit of torque on the 8 big nuts when tightening the head down. 30 ft./lbs. is recommended instead of the factory 25 ft./lbs.
Leo

I don't know what kind of steel they're made of but if you wanted to make a set out of a higher grade rod I don't think it's a real precision part or anything. A hack saw, a die, and the rod stock should be all you need.

They are marginal on high output engines, but OK so long as you stick with 750cc or less. Bud Askland, who built KR's race engines used them on some of the engines he built, but not because he'd experienced a failure, but instead as a precaution.
If the engine was a mondo-cc side car, drag race, Bonneville or hill climb engine I'd go with upgraded bits.

Back