heiden/mikesxs 750 big bore kit base gasket type

Jaymichael

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I know this topic is discussed at length in other threads, how to properly seal the base gasket on these engines. However through my searching and reading through the threads I haven't been able to get a clear answer on this particular question. I've purchased the heiden tuning complete 750 kit and I'm not sure if the supplied base gasket that comes with it is the new style with the self sealing additive. Does anybody know? Should I install this gasket dry or apply any sealant of any sort? If so what would you recommend? Again, sorry for bringing up a beat to death topic, just confused on this particular offering of the gasket, many thanks

I think all the base gaskets for the kit were self sealing. I bought one when they first came out and installed it no sealer. No leaks. It won't hurt to seal it.

I NEVER reuse head or base gaskets so I do use a sealant when I install gaskets. NOT ALOT just a very little because you are dealing with 25 year old motors. There are some good base gaskets out there that require no sealant but most of the gasket kits sold are thin gaskets. Some cases have marks on them from improper disassembly and gasket will not take up that space. I have installed over 10 750 kits from Mikes and never had one leak.

I ordered the big bore kit from mikes and it came with 2 gaskets.....if I'm rebuilding the complete engine do I need to order the big bore gasket set from mikes? ($100) or since I have the 2 gaskets that came with the kit can I get the standard gasket set? ($70) part number 18-0208. Thanks guys

Just got a new supplier for standard 650 Athena gasket sets.. pm if interested $55.00
Sounds like you have the 750 head and base gasket so you don't need the 750 kit.. if you don't need the 650 head gasket I will take $10.00. gary

I don't use a base gasket on my 750, only difference on the 650 base gasket is the hole is a bit bigger, a lot less money to buy a 650 gasket and use a good pair of scissors, I never use any sealant on any gaskets the only one I put anything on is the clutch cover, I smear grease on that so hopefully it can come back off without breaking the gasket.

Just a heads up for those who do not use a base gasket the cam will be approx. 10 degrees retarded. Gary

Just a heads up for those who do not use a base gasket the cam will be approx. 10 degrees retarded. Gary

Sorry Hooser, but that's not true:wtf:
To retard the cam 10 deg. the original base gasket should have been about 7 mm thick!
(one tooth of the cam sprocket = 7.7 mm = 10,6 deg.)
The gasket is only 0.7 mm thick = 1 deg.

Hein

Thanks I ran into this a few years ago and same motor same head and cylinder I removed the base gasket and came up with 10 degrees retarded.. I may have been a tooth of and when I press of sprocket and put it back on..it came out right.. never did check it out again.. thanks will recheck. Gary

Back