Helicoil - Oil delivery tube - case threads

BigJimmyW13

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Alright I'm new to the world of helicoils. I am looking at finding the proper helicoil that I would need to redo the threads on the case where the oil delivery tube meets the case. I now that the threads on the oil tube base fitting are M14 x 1.5, but I can't really find the info I need to get the right helicoil insert and tap to do the job. Can anyone help a brother out?

P.S. Alternative would be if anyone knew where an m15 or M16 fitting with M20 threads on the other end were...

Last edited:
u would still need to make a restrictor so that the oil pressure would happen though. Speaking of heli's, I need to heli a bolt on my sump cover.

depens on the size of the hole in the comp fitting. try to get as close to that size that u can. also, ....how bout driling a hole that size in sheet metal or sum sum, then sandwich it in one end with m20 there then m15 on the other?

someone here bought a bike recentlywith a cobbled together air line fitting, teflon tape, brazed to the oil delivery pipe.

Hey JImmy. Go to belmetric.com. He's got Timesert inserts. The work very well. Or you could get a Heli-coil from Mcmaster-Carr. I prefer the Timesert, as there inserts are much more solid.

I will do. The m14 x 1.25 helicoils are pretty solid, but problem is I need m14 x 1.5 for now though I'm just going to see how the excessive teflon and gasket maker holds up lol. In the mean time I'm going to give a few places a call for an insert. So that way I can get it in there ASAP.

- 14 x 1.5 VA ÖL021 .. €18
oel012_04_jpg.jpg

- 16 x 1.5 VA ÖL024 ..
oel024_01_jpg.jpg

- twinsinn €18 ..shop .. ölfilter,öl.....

The lucky guy with the air fitting from the PO is me! Still haven`t taken a crack at this yet so I am very interested to know how this works out.

What are the pictures of (if I am ask a nooby question)?

- theyre are the restrictor fitting between the engine casing and the oil delivery pipe going up the front of the motor
- yes, M16-M20, part #ÖL024, in stainless steel...twinsinn has them...email them, wolfgang will understand your english

Revd... that is the part that your PO replaced with a air fitting. it has a small hole thru the center to maintain oil pressure. if yours isnt leaking, and the rockers are getting plenty of oil, Ide leave it alone. If you take out your air fitting, you might be finding your self were big jimmy is now. stripped holes arent fun. if it works, go with it.
its only nine bucks here,
http://www.mikesxs.net/products-23.html#products
but i'm sure big Jimmy and revd, this will not help you. just showing revd what it is.

- theyre are the restrictor fitting between the engine casing and the oil delivery pipe going up the front of the motor
- yes, M16-M20, part #ÖL024, in stainless steel...twinsinn has them...email them, wolfgang will understand your english

Thanks INXS I shot him an email. I will just be waiting to hear back from him now.

- be patient...he has a full time job, the shop is his hobby...celebrating 10 years early august-should be a good party

So is this a restricting fitting that will fit in an upsized hole or just the standard one?
And I'm not likely to leave it alone for two reasons: My OCD and the fact that the top was oozing oil, which I have been told is a sign of too much oil going to the top.

- there are 2 fittings available, both have standard restriction, both stainless steel
ÖL021 for the standard 14mm hole​
ÖL024 for an oversized 16mm hole​

- if you think there is too much oil getting to the head maybe someone drilled out the restriction...i seem to remember someone advocating doing that at some stage...this isnt such a wise thing to do as it removes pumped flow to the crank and gearbox

xsengine.jpg

Hey there,

Newb alert!

It seems i'm in the same boat. I just got into my 78' special and found out the threads in the case are stripped (where the oil supply fitting screws into). I am kinda freaking out, did this work out? (the fittings from twins inn I mean).

Back