Oil delivery tube bung stripped.

Sucko Gomez

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I recently had to do some top end work, and read some incorrect torque specs for the head. Obviously I had oil oozing from any place it could. I read 25,11 and 7 for the head bolts, I hope it's correct now at 35, 14 and 11. I ended up stripping the threads on the delivery tube bung plug and I can't get it out. I'm not sure what to do and don't want to make it worse so I've done little with it over the past week, but it's leaking more than a quart a day. Tried a socket and pry bar under it, JB Weld to seal it. Even the string and door trick. Anyone have any experience with this? Any information about my dilemma is appreciated.

IMG_20171231_231706759.jpg

I applied blue Locktite and spun it around to get it down to the threads. It appears to have worked but it's weeping a tiny bit. On to the tricky part. What will be the easiest way to get that nut out and what next?
IMG_20180101_051703144.jpg

On to the tricky part. What will be the easiest way to get that nut out and what next?

Best as I can remember, so double check it, there's no reason to remove the part that stripped the case. The rest of it, what I did was use a propane torch on the upper nut, baked it really good, until it could be loosened. Solder will melt where the pipe goes into the fitting, so let the solder solidify again before you try to turn the nut or you'll have to resolder it too. IF there's no need to remove the bottom part from the case and if you use anti-seize on the rest so there's never a need to heat it again, I might consider jb welding the stripped part. You need two 22mm wrenches here, one to turn and one to turn against. Pawn shop with big bins of wrenches is handy.

Back