teflon strong enough?

Rez Fink

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so now i have a PO story...

After doing some work to on the cam chain was putting the heads back together and started the engine and its starts up and I'm a happy camper. I notice oil dripping out slowly from the bottom of the OIL DELIVERY TUBE. I take of the deliver tube and I start to loosen my bottom banjo bolt and it is a MF'er to loosen. I start to tighten it slowly/gently to get it back on track with the threads. I can already feel its not threaded right. So i go back and forth trying to get it to move one way or the other. It finally is just spinning and not going either way. :doh::doh::doh:

so i pry up the banjo bolt with a screw driver and and loosen it out. the threads on the engine are toast. so I'm on my way to get a tap to try and repair it. but i feel that theres not enough meat to make new threads/grooves.

can i use teflon tape on the bolt and thread it on carefully? there are a minimal amount of threads on the engine toward the top of the hole.

i figure that its not a high pressure line (i don't think) so teflon could work to keep it from dripping.
:banghead:

Either way that you go as far as an insert or heli-coil IF you have to do any drilling you're going to have to take the top end and jugs off to get the correct angle.
Bugger.

Yes! Those Oversized oil unions (if you strip the threads in the crankcase) are an excellent option. But, the price isn't shown...

Attachments

• oilfeednipple.jpg
    oilfeednipple.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 347
alright! thanks everyone..i think ill try an oversized oil union. but they're in Australia?

ill drop em an email and see how much and how long it'll take to get here.

from my asking around it seems that the oil union banjo bolt is 14mm x 1.5 ? (the smaller side) i wonder what these new oversized bolts are going to be?

Well i got a response from the australian guy ...really nice dude...but that one oversized oil union/banjo bolt is $54...plus shipping.... !

sooo i did my teflon trick...wrapped that muther up pretty thick...left the initial threads bare so they can catch and so far so good!!

i did read in that other related thread people using JB weld so i think that might be better but I've never messed with that stuff so i hope it doesn't crumble out.

Back