Hello all. New project. 75 XS650.

Metal Wizard Machine

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello, nice place you guys have here.

Thought I'd start up a build thread for this winters "reliable bike" project. (Will be building along side my 1972 Ironhead chop. Now you see why this is my RELIABLE bike. ahahah)

I own a company called Full Metal Fabrications. Some of you might know us from Chop Cult.

I specialize in handlebars, sissy bars, and other fabrication for bike stuff.

I'm not real big on production fabrication where I make the same stuff over and over, but it seems that's what the market needs, so I'm working that way nowdays.

Anyhow, this XS came up on Craiglist locally. Was advert'd as a "1984 Yamaha 650".

Picked it up for $200.00 and brought it home.

I'm liking the look and lines of the Heiwa XS650....

330.jpg

I think that stance really exemplifies this bike, so I'm going to be doing something in that vein with my own touches.

So, without further adieu, here's the winter beast in all her glory, just after rollin her into her new home.

00303_7MXkoPmnSsP_600x450.jpg

As of right now, it's halfway stripped down. I don't waste no time. Haha

The tank, side covers, seat (corbin gentry period correct 70's king queen!), exhaust, and fork with front wheel are off.

I'm getting rid of a lot of parts, so if there's anything you guys can use let me know.

First order is going to be stripping the motor out of the frame and getting it into my jig so I can gooseneck it a little bit. I'm kind of thinking of a tad more rake and goose than the Heiwa above.

Last edited:
Tonight I will be pulling apart the rest of the parts from this that aren't going to stay and marking up the frame for a few cuts at the rear seat section to kong the seat area down a bit. Will update with pics.

Hi Wiz,
like you say, that ain't no '84; I know because mine is one.
I'll be interested to see what that sad and sorry looking '75 looks like after you have had your way with it.

IMG_20141021_202158_zpsqpneieau.jpg

Progress as of today.

Almost ready to pull the motor and get the frame into the jig.

Looking to have it jigged and do the rest of the cuts by Friday. If I can find time to grab a full bottle of gas I'll be bending tubes and tigging it up this weekend.

Wow....really slacking in this thread like a pro.

Here's a small update. The frame has been finish cut and is in the frame jig. I'll have to snap some pics later.

I am doing a hard tail on this, so I cut some axle plates and started on the small loop tail parts. Here's a shot of one sides plate on an 18" wheel. I wanted to go small on the loop with the plate inboard, but not too tiny.

IMG_20150319_071635_zpseq579o7z.jpg

Top tubes in and welded. Just gotta make up the bottom tubes.

Hi Wiz,
those wraparound axle plates looks real nice.
It's said that bairns and fools shouldn't see a boat half built.
OK, you are going to remove the stock frame's massive swingarm pivots when the lower tubes are in place?
But the new axle position looks like it will be way higher than stock, is that what you intend?

Hey Fred

Frame will stay just as is. The pivots will stay and lower tubes will be added.

This frame is being built to look similar to the tonouchi 650 short chop. The stance is 0 stretch and about 3 drop.

Ixs_650MG_1540.jpg

I'm considering cutting the pivot braces out later, but I hate chops that have a huge gap there where there's a negative space.

Hey Fred
Frame will stay just as is. The pivots will stay and lower tubes will be added.
This frame is being built to look similar to the tonouchi 650 short chop. The stance is 0 stretch and about 3 drop.
I'm considering cutting the pivot braces out later, but I hate chops that have a huge gap there where there's a negative space.

Hi Wiz,
one of the reasons to chop is to chop some weight off and those swingarm pivots gotta weigh 20 lbs or so?
If the big gap don't please your aesthetic sense, you could shove a tin box in there to house all the electrical stuff?

I like the idea of keeping some of that swingarm pivot bracket, like the areas that support the footpegs and rear brake pedal pivot, but the whole thing is a bit much on a chopper. With your metal fabbing skills, I'm sure you could trim it down some.

Agreed fred, but if I wanted weight savings I'd ride my stripped gsxr. This chop us all about aesthetics.

Cutting those brackets out and putting a huge tin box in there would look kinda overbearing to me.

I don't personally mind the look of them.

5Twins may be on to something though. Maybe cutting them down and crosscutting/sleeving them for weight savings would suffice? I'll have to ponder that.

Back