Hello from Karl, OgreOwner.

OgreOwner

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I am Karl. I was tagged with the nickname of Ogre when I worked as the Shooting Sports Director at a Boy Scout Camp in the California Sierras.

My bike is a 1972 XS-650. I acquired it in the 90's and rode it for a while, then parked it. I am now trying to get it back running again. The carbs were all gummed up and I *think* that I have all of the stuff out and the passages clear now. It has been running only on choke for the last few days... The only gas I had was over a year old, so I am going to get some new gas for the next attempts. I rebuilt the carbs with a kit, but did not flush out all the passages after I soaked them in the carb cleaning can. That was a mistake. I will know in a day or so if I got the idle passages clear.

I am not sure if the bike is still standard or not. The gas tank and air cleaner covers have a custom paint job and the rear fender is in sad shape. The tail light is non-standard. Finding parts for it has been difficult, hopefully this group can help with that.

I teach Chemisty at Utah Valley Uinversity and at Ameritch College and hope to be teaching Aviation at UVU this coming semester. I just finished a Masters of Commercial Aviation. I want to push forward towards a Doctorate and the bike will help me contain my transportation costs when the roads are clear, if I can get it running reliably.

Thats all for now.

Back