Hello! Just purchasing a '75 xs650

pancakesamurai

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm new to bikes, I've only been riding for a few months, but I found a 1975 xs650 for $900 with minor pitting on the chrome, a bad exhaust valve and needing a front brake rebuild, at least that's what the guy claims. I've never worked on a bike but i've done most of the routine/non-electrical work (changing parts, belts, brakes ect...) on a car. Is it worth the effort and money for the bike? I'd like to make motorcycles my new hobby. Thanks!

Figure 12 hundred for a minimalist maintenance, running xs650. Keep in mind these are all antiques now and require understanding, love and kindness.
This could be a life changing venture for you.
That asking price is acceptable to me if those are the only issues, and I say that with a pole barn that has two runners and a plethora of parts and pieces.
Study up on the thread about 'I just bought a xs650' and try to prepare yourself for if and when you go to seriously check out that bike.....volt meter and a compression gauge are a must for the veteran enthusiasts on any purchase.

I'm a bit partial but the 75 had the best color scheme of all the years.
All the things you list except the possible valve issue are minor things.
The brakes you just need to tear them down, clean, inspect. Most of the parts can be reused.
First thing is to get a repair manual. I like the factory books. The Clymer and Haynes books are good but have some mistakes.
biker.net has them as downloads.
Leo

So would you recommend it? Is it something a beginner can do over time? If that valve's bad, what are the odds the rest of the engine is going to need a whole lot of work? The guy claims that's all there is, but i've gathered rule #1 is trust no seller ever. It also starts, but I guess running it could make the problem worse? A few shops i called about getting a ballpark figure for a top end overhaul just flat out refused, saying parts and labor would end up being more than the bike itself. Thanks!

With the advent of uTube anybody can learn just about anything. We have some members that post up videos on the how to's and the what fors......and note that we all started somewhere as newbs. As far as trying to get a shop to do the work? Good luck if you find one and better luck if you don't pay through the nose. If I had to have machine work done, I believe that I'd peruse the small engine repair circuit or search for a retired machinist that has a shop with no overhead....hobbiest so to speak. And of course, you won't know exactly what's up with the valve untill it's your bike. IF you're scared to dig in then it may not be the bike for you

Pancake, welcome to the forum Don't believe a word a PO says as a guiding principal. Make your bike safe and expect to work on it until you get it right. Of course it's worth the money.

Anlaf

The PO says bad valve. That could mean most anything. It could be many things. Maybe just bad adjustment. Could be bent of burnt. Won't know for sure till you can hear it run, then maybe do a valve adjustment, compression test.
Depending on what you find it may be fixed for a few hundred bucks. A total top end job can be done for a bit more. Just a burnt valve means a new valve and a valve job.
As far as worth it, only you can decide that. It's your money.
With the bike complete and with just some rough chrome parts It sounds worth it to me.
Learning to do your own work is the only way to afford any 30+ year old anything. With shop rates in excess of $50 an hour, even minor work adds up to big bucks real quick.
With a repair manual or two. Some tools and the help you find here you can have a well running bike for minimum expense.
If your not willing or able to spend the time to do your own work, find a newer bike Like less than ten years old. They require less works and you might still find some one who can and will work on it.
Learning to work on your own is a very rewarding past time. When your friends compliment you on your bike you can have pride in knowing you did it, not just paid someone else.
Leo

Mods, I don't think anyone mentioned mods. Unless you are reading what's in the signature area of some posters. These are just a description of some of the things we have done to our bikes.
Just put the thing you wonder about in the forum search and you will find more about them.
On my 75 I list just a few of the mods I've done to the beast. There are so many things I've done I can hardly remember them all.
Things as simple replacing the stock bolts with Allen head bolts. to a complete frame up rebuild.
Head porting, Carb work, home made header pipes, building many mounts and braces.
I could go on but why waste all the time.
If you have questions on anything a bit more specific just ask.
Leo

Back