Hello XS650, first time cafe build from a '77 in Ontario Canada

Hae you tried on the front wheel with the brembo yet?

I'm assuming that's a 35mm front end.. I'm having troubles fitting a brembo to y 34mm forks with a spoked wheel.. can't seem to clear the spokes even with caliper mods

Private messages not working with hotmail. Give me a call about parts. My phone number is on a message you have.

Hey Curtis,
Triple club. Awesome! What bike do you have?

I am actually going to run the 2-1 pipe for now to save a few $. Beside with the stock pipes she didn't run so well because of the #137.5 main jets. Once I have the bike sorted out I may look into a 2-2 set-up.

Hey Tron,
I haven't tried mounting the rotor yet still waiting on pads, tire and the wheel to be trued. I got the wheels as close as I could with my setup but I just don't have the touch. I will post pictures once I get the wheels on. I hope everything lines up with the Brembo/Pandemonium kit and the Mike's rotor.

Had to add a spacer to the front hub to move the rotor about 1/4" closer to the fork so the brembo would clear the spokes. Worked out very well once the spacer was in place, then everything bolted up great.

Pics

IMG_1059_zpsc700dafc.jpg

IMG_1061_zps64c3c631.jpg

IMG_1063_zps67dec87e.jpg

IMG_1062_zps7edc3e04.jpg

IMG_1065_zpsc6f96e30.jpg

IMG_1066_zpsd30093e0.jpg

As it sits now.
IMG_1067_zps1d68b70c.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, you have made progress! The county roads will be afire now.

Having carb problems with mine, have poped and farted my way around Big Island a few times - fiddling with float bowel levels. Care to sell me your stock speedo drive?
Ken

Wow, you have made progress! The county roads will be afire now.

Having carb problems with mine, have poped and farted my way around Big Island a few times - fiddling with float bowel levels. Care to sell me your stock speedo drive?
Ken

Ken, I am still using the stock drive for the mini-speedo sorry. My bike is back firing on deceleration but I think I have an exhaust leak at the exhaust ports. I'm going to try and get the stock gaskets to work but I may have to put different ones in there to make it fit on the flange studs. I went for a few good rides on Saturday but on my way home the last time my rear brake stay came off at the front of the swing arm and caused me some damage. I have ordered what parts I could from XS650Direct but I will have to make a new brake stay before I'm riding her again. Forgot to locktite that bolt in the front :doh:..... stupid mistake because it could have been so much worse. When I have her on the road again I'll ride over and come visit if that's okay. I am going to go to the Quinte TT race on the June 1st weekend and watch some vintage bikes duke it out on the pro track at Shannonville. I'm hoping there are a few XS650's there that I can look over.

Dave

Great looking bike! I'm building something pretty similar and I'm curious how you handled all the wiring and components (reg, rectifier, flasher relay, fues box, etc...) I tore into mine and was shocked with the giant rats nest of stuff I've gotta find a place to hide.

Great looking bike! I'm building something pretty similar and I'm curious how you handled all the wiring and components (reg, rectifier, flasher relay, fues box, etc...) I tore into mine and was shocked with the giant rats nest of stuff I've gotta find a place to hide.

What I did was remove everything and threw away the 35 year old wire harness and started at the battery ( + ) to a 20Amp fuse to ignition key then back to a fuse distribution block. Everything was fused on it's own circuit and I wired up one thing at a time until I was done. I hid most of the connection points in the headlight for now but if I change that down the road I will have to find a way to hide most of it under the tank. It is a very basic 12V system on these bikes so if you think about everything logically and ensure you have good circuit connections everything should work out just fine. Some relays and un-necessary things were left out of the re-wire like the Safety Relay/Light Relay and the Reserve Lighting unit. The REG/Rectifier was changed to the one with my HHB PMA kit and I already had a Pamco on the bike.. If you delete the RLU you can also delete the power resistor for that circuit too. I had to refer to some other simple circuit designs on here and read up on what other guys deleted and changed but all in all it was probably the easiest part of the project for me anyway. Take a look around the forum for your answers and feel free to ask if you have any questions. Good luck with your build!

Cheers
Dave

I went for a few good rides on Saturday but on my way home the last time my rear brake stay came off at the front of the swing arm and caused me some damage.

Dave

lovely cafe Dave ...its good to see these are going through a bit of a revival at the moment. Can't say that your seat looks all that comfortable though ! I'd need considerably more padding

Shame about your brake hub stay but a timely reminder to the rest of us.
I put a nyloc nut on the hub end of mine but didn't bother with the frame end.. silly me!:doh:

I'll get onto that pronto.:laugh:

Thanks Peanut! I have added some padding to the seat since I posted those pics I will post a picture as she sits now. Had to add a chain pulley of sorts to compensate for the longer shocks. Just changed the oil and fingers crossed it doesn't rain tomorrow. :bike:

Back