Helmet Law In Delaware

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
Things that Delaware is now looking for when you are riding,
(b) "Every person operating or riding on a motorcycle shall have in that person's possession a safety helmet...".
Meaning 2 people, 2 helmets.

And one thing they are really getting after,
(c) "No portion of the handlebars on a motorcycle may extend more than 15 inches above the level of the operator's regular seat."
Measured from the seat, where your ass touches, to the highest point of the handle bars. Not the actual height of the bars. So, 12 inch bars and, say, another 5 inches down to the seat equals 17 inches.

Delaware's current motorcycle laws:
4185. Riding on motorcycles.
(a) A person operating a motorcycle shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto, and such operator shall not carry any other person nor shall any other person ride on a motorcycle unless such motorcycle is designed to carry more than 1 person in which event a passenger may ride upon the permanent and regular seat if designed for 2 persons or upon another seat firmly attached to the rear or side of the operator and said motorcycle shall be equipped with passenger footrests.

(b) Every person operating or riding on a motorcycle shall have in that person's possession a safety helmet approved by the Secretary of Safety and Homeland Security (hereinafter "Secretary") through the Office of Highway Safety and shall wear eye protection approved by the Secretary; provided, however, that every person up to 19 years of age operating or riding on a motorcycle shall wear a safety helmet and eye protection approved by the Secretary.

(c) No portion of the handlebars on a motorcycle may extend more than 15 inches above the level of the operator's regular seat. The operator shall keep at least 1 hand on a handgrip of the handlebars at all times when moving.

(d) A person shall ride upon a motorcycle only while sitting astride the seat, facing forward, with 1 leg on each side of the motorcycle.

(e) No person shall operate a motorcycle while carrying any package, bundle or other article which prevents the person from keeping both hands on the handlebars.

(f) No operator shall carry any person, nor shall any person ride, in a position that will interfere with the operation or control of the motorcycle or the view of the operator. (21 Del. C. 1953, § 4182; 56 Del. Laws, c. 333; 60 Del. Laws, c. 701, § 54; 61 Del. Laws, c. 314, § 1; 70 Del. Laws, c. 186, § 1; 74 Del. Laws, c. 110, § 90.)

And in Michigan (via www.lansingstatejournal.com)

"Legislation lifting the mandatory helmet rule for Michigan motorcyclists is on the verge of passage in the state House after a preliminary vote this afternoon.

The House legislation would allow a motorcycle rider 21 years of age or older to get rid of the helmet after purchasing a minimum of $20,000 in medical insurance. The rider would also have to have at least two years of experience or pass a motorcycle safety course.

A final House vote is expected Wednesday."

I guess I'll hear about it later. I still plan on wearing a Helmet.

I remember (b) from long ago. Seems you don't have to be wearing the helmets, just possessing them. Hey, isn't a condom sometimes known as a 'safety helmet'? Problem solved.

Sounds pretty much the same as UK rules . I like having a helmet on anyway, hitting pidgeons and big bumble bees aint gonna be fun with no helmet .

Oh I always wear mine. Lots are getting pulled over because they only have 1 helmet, but 2 passengers.
And the "Monkey Bars", as my wife refers to ape hangers because of how the rider looks, get a lot of unwanted police attention.

Apehangers were hot back in the late 60's/early 70's and are back in style but I swear I do not see how people ride with those things. They went out of style about the time 'long bikes' with springers became the new hot thing.

IMG_0006.jpg

My B-I-L had a BSA chopper like this, only blue. I rode it a few times, it was a deadly piece of shit.

The 15 inches above the seat is actually a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard. Code of Federal Regulations. Most states base the rules they needlessly pass off the FMVSS.

Back