Help about ignition system and more...

XS650_Bobber

Working in my project
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I am from Venezuela, I have in mind for years in build a Bobber, thanks God I just started, I just buy the bike, several years parked, according to who sold me the bike turns, a friend of mine who builds bikes is going to help me to build this bike, so, my first concern is, the bike is 78 and if I search right this models had Contact Point for the ignition, I will like to convert it to ignition system with stator, cdi and all this staff, can you guys help out to find out what exactly I need? Where can I find it? Instructions?

I am looking too for ideas about the carbs too, I just check this link from another thread;

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-82.html#products

This is the bike, we will to start tomorrow, I hope...

Thanks everybody...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I am new too to the forum but may help I think. You may want a boyer bransden or pamco system. Other may probably correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks Gman, I mean Electronic Ignition, so, the jboyer bransden is what I am looking for... Or another system like this one, cheap and used will great too... :thumbsup: I need help too about how to replaced and all info need it to do it right...

The PAMCO system is very easy to set up. Some day I might try the Probe ignition, it looks awesome!

I would recommend the Pamco ignition. With a 78 model you already have the mechanical advance unit that spins with the camshaft. Go to "Shops" and "Pamco Ignition" and have a read. Also see the "Tech" section.

You also need to replace the original rectifier and original relay type regulator. Both of these units are worn out and will eventually cause you grief.

You can make up your own rectifier from 2 bridge rectifiers.
http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Charging&action=display&thread=3473

Replace the regulator with an automotive "solid state" type.
http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Charging&action=display&thread=3246

Last edited:
I would recommend the Pamco ignition. With a 78 model you already have the mechanical advance unit that spins with the camshaft. Go to "Tools" and "Pamco Ignition" and have a read.

You also need to replace the original rectifier and original relay type regulator. Both of these units are worn out and will eventually cause you grief.

You can make up your own rectifier from 2 bridge rectifiers.
http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Charging&action=display&thread=3473

Replace the regulator with an automotive "solid state" type.
http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Charging&action=display&thread=3246

Thanks a lot... I will check the sites.

Do you know how hard is replace the rear brake with a disk brake?

I use Shell Rotella T 15W40. Most prefer either a 15W40 or 20W50. Some use the 40 in the colder weather and the 50 in warmer. The xs has a wet clutch system so oil can really affect the performance of the clutch. Just make sure you are using a good motorcycle oil or something that is JASO-MA rating (The Japanese Automotive Standards Organization) which is good for wet clutch systems. Don't use regular car oil. There are many threads about this on here as this is a very opinionated subject.

I use Shell Rotella T 15W40. Most prefer either a 15W40 or 20W50. Some use the 40 in the colder weather and the 50 in warmer. The xs has a wet clutch system so oil can really affect the performance of the clutch. Just make sure you are using a good motorcycle oil or something that is JASO-MA rating (The Japanese Automotive Standards Organization) which is good for wet clutch systems. Don't use regular car oil. There are many threads about this on here as this is a very opinionated subject.

Thanks a lot, this is the answer what I am looking for...

I have some doubts yet about the ignition system... I need to know what I exactly I need and what exactly I need to replace...

I think that I have laying around a regulator, I can use any kind of regulator or some especific model or type?

Have you read through the links that I posted in my earlier post? You can also google Pamcopete and find lots of info on his ignition to help you. The Pamco ignition is sold by Mikesxs.com in Florida.

The link I gave you on regulators has 10 pages..............that should provide enough information. You have to read this to educate yourself.

Have you read through the links that I posted in my earlier post? You can also google Pamcopete and find lots of info on his ignition to help you. The Pamco ignition is sold by Mikesxs.com in Florida.

The link I gave you on regulators has 10 pages..............that should provide enough information. You have to read this to educate yourself.

Hi, yes, I read it, I have not very clear yet...

What I dont have clear yet is if the bike need or have already the stator or alternator, I think I had a regulator laying around, I see a lot of info about replacing stator for install the electronic ignition system... I am right or wrong???

You really have a lot of learning to do before you start trying to build something. Worry about getting it running first.

I am not building this bike by my self.

a friend of mine who build bikes is going to help me to build this bike

I am just taking care about the electrical and other simple staff...

Thanks for your help...

The Pamco ignition kit you need #14-0901, comes with the ignition, coil, wires and caps. $129 usd. On his site www.yamahaxs650.com/ Pamcopete has all the instuctions on installing the ignition and coil, lots of pics. Go to the site and read up on it first.
On the regulator/rectifier mods the regulator we in the us use fits a mid 70's Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth Cars and trucks.
To get the one I use I went to a car parts store and asked for a regulator that fits a 1975 Dodge Dart, Slant six engine. Cost about $15 usd.
I don't know if you have access to American car parts or not.
I think if you can ask around to people who have been around cars a long time and ask them about Feild Excited Alternators they might be able to help find a Solid state regulator and how to fit it to the bike. They also might be able to help get a rectifier that will work. One from most any alternator can work.
Read the threads on the reg/rec swaps a few times, it will come clear after awhile.

The Pamco ignition kit you need #14-0901, comes with the ignition, coil, wires and caps. $129 usd. On his site www.yamahaxs650.com/ Pamcopete has all the instuctions on installing the ignition and coil, lots of pics. Go to the site and read up on it first.
On the regulator/rectifier mods the regulator we in the us use fits a mid 70's Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth Cars and trucks.
To get the one I use I went to a car parts store and asked for a regulator that fits a 1975 Dodge Dart, Slant six engine. Cost about $15 usd.
I don't know if you have access to American car parts or not.
I think if you can ask around to people who have been around cars a long time and ask them about Feild Excited Alternators they might be able to help find a Solid state regulator and how to fit it to the bike. They also might be able to help get a rectifier that will work. One from most any alternator can work.
Read the threads on the reg/rec swaps a few times, it will come clear after awhile.

Thanks Leo, I am almost ready to buy the Part #14-0911 155$

I am going to start to read all the info what you toll me...

Thanks again...

By the way, do you know were can I find this kind of system for a xs750 2D 1977? This bike had three pistons...

Back