Help!!!! Advance unit broken.

stevoman88

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
While riding I heard something drop on the right side..... the advance unit got completely torn up and needs replacing. Does anyone know where I can pick one up new, used, aftermarket.... anything helps. I cant find one anywhere. I dont need the rod just the unit itself. 1974 xs650
THANK YOU!

All I found on Mikes and 650 central are advance unit spring set. Nothnig on Ebay.... If you guys found one somewhere can you please provide a link? I need this to be riding!
Thanks.

Ouch.... that is a little pricey.... I have saved it in case I cant find one here in the States. Thanks for the link tattoo!

No hit on Savage City Cycles..... Geneva cycles is closed.... Ill give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for the info Marty.

So when you say yours is torn up... what do you mean exactly? Have any pics? Is any part of this thing salvageable? Is the plate all banged up and bent?

I have some spare bits, but my advance plate has one of the 'tabs' broken off, which is what stops the weights from spreading out further than they should, so it's no good.

So when you say yours is torn up... what do you mean exactly? Have any pics? Is any part of this thing salvageable? Is the plate all banged up and bent?

I have some spare bits, but my advance plate has one of the 'tabs' broken off, which is what stops the weights from spreading out further than they should, so it's no good.

My plate has the entire back practically torn off. The shop I used did not put the nut back on tightly and it really did some damage to the plate.

You're going to have to keep your eyes open then for a used set. Sadly it looks like MikesXS isn't selling their kit any longer.

Only alternative would be to replace your entire ignition with a Boyer kit which does away with the mechanical advance, but that's a $300 fix to a $50 problem.

Well that is great. The guy at my shop didnt put the nut on tight enough and 1 day after I got it back this happens..... It was running so good too!

Didn't see the part at Mike's, but I bought one last August and the numbers were:

14-0652 Auto Advance Assy. with center disc $65.00

Back