Help! any idea what's wrong?

peetacheeta

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My turn signals and brake light just stopped working. I know they have been working as it was just saftied last week. The bike is a '77 xs650
I checked the fuse and it is fine.
When i turn on the bike the signals wont flash at all, and it seems that the taillight is constantly lit. (dont know if it always is even without the lights off)
can't be the signal switch as the brake light is affected too (and the horn and high beam works)
any help is greatly appreciated,
just want to get back on the road

thanks

I would start with the ignition switch. Pull the headlight and the connector to the switch and check that you have no resistance. I just had the same problem and found that I had resistance on one terminal. I disassembled and cleaned the switch and everything worked again....good luck!

A few questions. Is the engine running when you're trying the blinkers? Do the blinkers light, but not flash? Did you check the tail light bulb? Is the tail light bright, perhaps stuck brake switch?

I pull the headlight and disconnected every connector and cleaned them with contact spray. I am not sure how i check for resistance??
I have tried the blinkers while the bike was off but the key in the start position, while the bike was running and while it is being driven in gear.
The blinkers do not even light up.
the bike is holding a charge, starts fine every time. I could try trickle charging it for a while?? i dunno.
I pulled the connections to BOTH brake levers and the tail lights still remain lit.
When the key is in the on position and when the bike is running, both tail light bulbs are constantly lit!

i dunno, guess i;m gonna have to go to a local mechanic?

I am not sure about a 77, but my '80 has the headlite on all the time the bike is running. The headlite comes on after it starts, but the tail lite comes on as soon as I turn the key on. under the fuel tank, there is a round flasher assy, with 3 wires going to it. One will be hot( + voltage) with the key on. One of the other's goes to the signal switch on the left handlebar.The third wire goes to the self canceler unit, forget about that for now. You want to jump the hot wire to the wire that runs to the switch. Place the switch in either direction, and see if that side lite's up. If it does, the problem is a bad flasher. Alot of people run the 552 flasher available at any parts store. It is only 2 prong, and you will have to shut the blinkers off yourself. Most of the self canceler unit's quit working along time ago, and are not reliable at best, so don't worry about it. If the signal side you slected does NOT lite, the switch is bad. Some can fix them, most cannot. Your tail lite might be normally on with the key, if not, then you probably got another bad switch on the other side. Make sure it is indeed your tail lite and NOT the brake lite, 'cause thats a whole different problem. Still switch related, maybe the switch in the master cylinder is stuck, or on the rear pedel arm.
To do a continuity test, set your meter to one of the Rx position's(Rx10, Rx100ect). One probe on one end of the wire/circut, the other on the other end. Read what the meter reads, open circut will read infinity, a closed circut(one that is complete) will have a number displayed on a digital meter, or the needle will move on an analog type meter.
One more thing, to check the charging system, start the engine and rev up to 2500-3000 rpm. One lead one the battery positive post, the other lead on the negative post. You should have at least 13.3 volt's. Up to 14.6 volts. Any more and the battery will cook.Any less than 12.2 you have a charging problem.

If you don't have one, here's a couple links to the wiring diagram for your year.
Jayels wiring diagram:
View attachment 525
Link to manual:
http://www.knucklebusterinc.com/tech/XS650.pdf Look on page 78 of the PDF for wiring diagram.

This is a crazy thought, probably nothing to it, but maybe a previous owner modified the wiring and added a fuse for the turn signals and brakes.

Good luck, you'll probably find the problem on your own following Gordon's advice on doing the continuity checks.

Back