Help building my first custom!!

D-stoorm

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guy's I'm a college student who ones a xs400 for school and just picked up a 650 (non-running) for a hundred bucks! The bike is in excellent condition and I think will not run due to varnished gas in the carbs. But now that I have two bikes I want to turn one of the bikes into a cafe/tracker bike! Since I'm new to the idea I was just wondering if i could get some advice for some experienced guys on where I could buy parts of that nature and possibly a list of some of the begging major parts needed (Seat, tank, front forks, etc.) any information would be very helpful!

Something similar to this.

yamaha-xs-500-wrenchmonkees-motographite-1.jpg

New guy here too, and I'm building for the first time as well. Use the search function on this site and you'll be amazed at the resources you find. I'm taking my time on the front side, building a budget and a timeline for my build. It helps a ton. It also helps if you are mechanically inclined and have any kind of fabrication skills. That will save you a ton of money in the short and long run. I've already stripped my frame and I'm now going through the usable parts that are left.
Mikesxs.com seems to be a fairly complete parts site, and I know that there are alot more out there. These Yamaha's have great aftermarket support. Good luck, and keep us posted.:bike:

Back