Help... click, no electrical power

Big A

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey there. I'm new here and new to bikes in general. Not completely brain-dead with these things, but still learning. Got a problem...

Was trying to start my bike ('78 XS650E, bone stock): neutral light on, cranked it using the electric start, got it to crank once but not fire, then "click", everything went dead.

I fiddled with the wires near the starter relay, checking connections, jiggling (highly scientific approach), and I got the neutral light back on. Tried the electric start... "click", everything went dead again.

The "click" is coming from down near the starter relay or the voltage regulator(?).

I replaced the starter relay, that wasn't the problem so I put the original back in. Before I start replacing everything else I thought I'd see if I could get some advice.

I can't get electrical power to come on with any regularity, sometimes jiggling something works (not even regular enough to know what I jiggled that made it come on), most of the time it doesn't. I've checked all connections near the relay, and the fuse. I'm stumped.

Any thoughts?

You might put a meter on the battery to check your voltage. Does it seem as though trying to use the starter knocks it out? Get it back to where you have lights and then kickstart. Probably something loose, but I would start with battery voltage.

Check your fuse box, The 78 has the four glass fuses. The fuse clips get weak and loose connection. Many replace with inlines blade type fuse holders. Fixing this can fix a lot of electrical problems.
Going through the wiring from one end of the bike to the next, cleaning and tightening all the connections will fix most of the rest.
It sounds like your battery is weak, charge it with a 1.5 amp charger. Any bigger can cook the battery. It should take a charge to at least 12.5 volts. 13.5 is better.

Back