help Help HELP!

Mattx2

Build it, don't buy it!!
Reaction score
hey guys,
Ok heres the problem, i've been trying to get my XS to run smooth. To do so i corrected my timing, adjusted the valves, and checked for air leaks. After all that i started her and she ran for a bit then quickly died. So i cranked her up again, then after the engine turned over twice i heared a huge bang. After changing my underwear i looked to see what was the problem. The whole left carb blew out of the holder. :wtf: :shrug: So i thought maybe just a million/one change. So i shoved the carb back into the holder and cranked her again. AND THE SAME RESULT! The choke is off, the engine is barley warm and im getting the same result every time i start it! :banghead: I played with the mixture thinking it was getting to much fuel, out turned out not to be the case.
:confused::confused::confused:
Im lost, Any Ideas?

It could be the carb holders are shot. What ignition are you running? On the setups using the advancer and rod, points or Pamco, The ATU could be worn or sticking. The rod can be sticking. Either one will cause timing problems.

Yeah, my old used carb boots let this happen all the time. Old raggedy points and coils misfiring occasionally did this too. And my advance mechanism was sticking. I got used to pull off to the sidewalk and slapping those carbs back in.

Anyway, the new carb holders hold tighter, but they'll still pop out if you get the mixture wrong or something. Sometimes the barbs on the carb holder will blow out too. Just replace the carb boots, tighten the boot clamps tight and start your tuning again from the basics.

It was the ignition firing wayyy to early and blowing the carb off.
Plus im done with points , i got a pamco on the way!
Thanks Guys!

Even with the Pamco the ATU and the rod can bind and mess with timing.

Setting the upper set is the easy part. If the lower breaker plate is worn getting the lower set can be a real challenge.
Loosen the screws, set the points, tighten the screws and the points are off. Loosen the screws adjust a bit to far, tighten the screws and it don't change. repeat till right. Some times 5 minutes, some times an hour of fiddling.
I tried the single point coversion with Mike's dual lobe cam, much easier to set but the lobes don't match. About 4 degrees difference in timing.
I now have the Pamco and it just works, no fooling with point's and I like riding more than wrenching.

i was having trouble with setting the bottom set until i did this - when setting the right side, loosen the backing plate and push it up (it moves a little). hold it up when turning it to set timing.

xs leo, how is your home made regulator/rect? i want to make one this weekend. any tips on making it

I like my home built rectifier. Maybe $10 in parts. If it craps out Radio Shacks are everywhere.
The Chrysler regulator is great too. I paid about $16 for it at Advavnced auto. A 75 Dodge Dart with any engine size. RDZ 292 Or something close. Same as with the rectifier if it craps out, parts stores are everywhere. 1 year warranty, so if it craps out in a year , free replacement.
I could rewrite everything, post new pics and all that, but it will be easier to send you to the garage for the details.
I'm not good with links, so just go to the garage, in the electrical section many threads on the how to, many pics and wiring diagrams.

ditch the stock system. I bought the dual points lobe and dual output coil on my last xs and it was awesome. (heard some people are having problems with the new ones being out though)

I tried the dual lobe points cam with a single set of points.
It worked pretty good. Trying to shoot it with the timing light proved to be a problem.
I got two marks. At idle one mark was just outside both the marks on the stator. About 4 degrees apart.
I heard you could file one side of the lobes and get them to match, my file didn't even make a scratch on the lobes.
I got the Pamco and am very happy with it.

Back