Help identifying / servicing these front shocks

Nifty650

Nightshifting
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what type of shocks these are, how to service them, when they should be serviced and pretty much anything to do with them would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• 17783EF7-65AA-4A80-B2C0-DE0F5AFFD868.jpeg
    17783EF7-65AA-4A80-B2C0-DE0F5AFFD868.jpeg
    301.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 3476684E-75B8-4F7F-B019-EBE3C2294E68.jpeg
    3476684E-75B8-4F7F-B019-EBE3C2294E68.jpeg
    339.2 KB · Views: 56
  • F2693504-B4FB-4725-99A9-D37FA8C22469.jpeg
    F2693504-B4FB-4725-99A9-D37FA8C22469.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 62
Looks like a standard XS fork,
with some kind of aftermarket air pressure adjustment. Which I would recommend removing.
If there is no service history, the oil should be changed. I suggest you get a manual. Haynes, Clymer or Yamaha's service manual.
Or search here for info, pics, mods etc.

with some kind of aftermarket air pressure adjustment. Which I would recommend removing.
If there is no service history, the oil should be changed. I suggest you get a manual. Haynes, Clymer or Yamaha's service manual.
Agreed. That is a standard KYB fork for XS650. Yours are equipped with aftermarket air caps. For servicing information, download a Yamaha Service manual for 1980/81 XS1100 Special. That bike came with air caps. In there, you will find tuning range and max pressure. Those numbers will get you close.

FWIW, I deactivated the air caps on my XS1100. Which means I don't use them.

Stock with an accessory air kit added. Was popular mod back in the late 70's early 80's
It was always preferable to connect them as the volume inside is so small it was difficult to get them even, linked the volume was doubled and a single shot of air was even on both legs.
The air space inside the forks basically is an air cushion anyway, unless you have the models with the manual spring preloaders.
Only problem is without going to lighter springs you can only make the front end more stiff by adding air pressure.

Hey Arctic, thanks for your reply. I have a clymer and when I was reading over the topic, the bike being worked and illustrated in the Clymer did not have these air connections.
Would like to find a resourceful person who has serviced going over the process on how to bleed and add oil to these style specific.

Agreed. That is a standard KYB fork for XS650. Yours are equipped with aftermarket air caps. For servicing information, download a Yamaha Service manual for 1980/81 XS1100 Special. That bike came with air caps. In there, you will find tuning range and max pressure. Those numbers will get you close.

FWIW, I deactivated the air caps on my XS1100. Which means I don't use them.
Hey Jetmechmarty thank you. I will look into that service manual.

On deactivating the air caps, how do you add air into the shocks without?

Thanks again!

What style of pump is required to add more air to this type of shock?
Like I already recommended, replace them with either spring preload adjuster caps, or regular caps.
Air pressure adjustment was an 80s fad, just like anti-dive systems. There is no real benefit to either, if spring rate, spring preload, oil viscosity and oil level is correct for rider and bike weight. In fact, increased air pressure will increase friction and wear on the fork seals.

Go to racetech.com for technical info and inspiration for making your forks work as good as possible.

If you still feel you want to add air, use a bicycle hand pump for Schrader valve. Do not use a compressor!!

On deactivating the air caps, how do you add air into the shocks without?
I do not put air in the forks. I tune by adjusting the oil level. I'm of the same opinion a @arcticXS. RaceTech has a tuning guide that will tell you how to adjust the oil level.

Last edited:
Thank you for your time and help both you and Arctic! I have a leg up now with racetech :thumbsup:
FWIW, my Eleven Special has custom straight rate springs sourced from Traxxion Dynamics and RaceTech Gold Valve Emulators. My forks are tunable. The tire does maintain contact with the pavement better than the stock forks. It may or may not be worthwhile. Getting it right on my own was rather tedious and may have come in around $500 all told.

A pump like this;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2952005114...uid=tW1migcmQPO&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

would suggest a high of no more than 7 PSI
So avoid the high pressure pumps cuz it's' too hard to see a pound or two of pressure change on a 300PSI gauge.
I used the factory air forks on the venture, adjusted with a pump like above. They worked well for that bike. Rear air shocks more useful going back and forth from solo to a pillion passenger.
Removed air caps from madness early on, replaced the fork springs with stiffer ones. The stock springs are pretty soft.
The bimmer I ride has electric preload adjusters front n rear. schweet!

Back