Help, Mag wheel ID

Rexxis

Almost there...
Reaction score
So I'm abt to pick up a set of 19f/18r mag wheels from the local cycle salvage but all the guts of them have been torn out. I've been looking at the bearing kits all over ebay but it seems I will need to know what year the wheels are. How do I identify what year the mags are? Basically I need to rebuild the guts, any tips on accomplishing this task would be a great help.

I have the original spoked wheels that came on my bike, can I use none, some or all of the guts from them on the mags? Are any of the internals of XS wheels interchangeable?

I can post pics of the mags if it would be of help.

Thanks

What are the wheels off. XS650's didn't come out with an 18" rear mag only 16" mag rear. You need to identify the wheels then go onto a site that has the parts file Not only the year but what are they from, SR500,XS400, Bone yards don't care and once you have payed them ..........

Last edited:
I was wondering if these might be off of something besides a 650. This is my first go at an XS so that's why I'm glad you guys are here.

Here is the first set I was considering, there is also another set I was considering. If these wont work, I will post pics of the other set and see what you guys think abt them.

Front
19f.jpg

19f2.jpg

Rear
18r.jpg

18r2.jpg

Probably? Really dude don't go lookin for help when you can't answer simple questions
Probably what? I thought that answering questions and getting help is what this site is for..

I think they are off an SR500. Why you want to buy a set of wheels without the internals is beyond me you may have a lot of trouble replacing some of the parts. the internal parts were proberbly sold because they are hard to get. Maybe someone else will have some more info on that........................ http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1979-yamaha-sr500f/o/m7625#sch215306 that link goes directly to the rear wheel of a SR500

The SR500, RD400 swap to the 650 involves a bit of work. There are people selling Mag wheels on here all the time

Ok, the goal here was to get a set of wheels that are bigger than my stock 16" for a good price. My original plan was to buy new rims spokes and relace them to my original hubs but just the spoke sets for what I want to do run $150, and you still have to buy rims. The mags in the pics above would have cost me $100 for both.

Looks like I wont be going this route and am just gonna have to pony up the cash for spokes and rims.

+1 without the internal spacers between the bearings those wheels aren't worth much. You would end up spending more than you paid for the wheels if only in time and effort before you got them complete. My vote is that spokes are generally more popular and better looking.

Back