Help me Identify this Exhaust

PhatTony

I love twins
Reaction score
This set of pipes came with my bobber project. I'm trying to figure out who made them as the flanges are too big to clamp the pipe into the head so I'm guessing that I am missing a couple pieces I think. They were attached to a really old pair of Mac mufflers but I contacted Mac and they said they did not make exhaust that did not have the header flanges welded to the pipe. :shrug:

Attachments

• XS650 Pipes 001.jpg
    XS650 Pipes 001.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 160
  • XS650 Pipes 002.jpg
    XS650 Pipes 002.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 155
  • XS650 Pipes 003.jpg
    XS650 Pipes 003.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 138
  • XS650 Pipes 004.jpg
    XS650 Pipes 004.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 156
They kinda remind me off how the headpipes on my Harley fit to the heads.
The pipe fits into the head, a large ring goes around the pipe behind the bigger part of the pipe. The flange then pushes on this ring to hold the pipe in place.
It looks like you need to make a ring with an id to match the pipe od. The ring od to match the groove id in the flange. Maybe a length of 3/16 or 1/4 inch steel rod to match the circumfrence of the pipe and bent to match the curve of the pipe.

My MAC headpipes are similar to those with the sleeve on the pipe end but the mounting flange is just flat 1/4" plate. It's not a thick finned collar like you've got.

OilSiteGlassRightCover.jpg

If the pipes will fit into your head, maybe you could make flat plate flanges or maybe MAC would sell you just a couple of those.

I had mac pipes on mine before i cut them up .. only issue with them i didnt like is the flanges bend .. they shoulda used like 3/8"s or something .. other than that i liked them.

Luke

I'm probably going to have new flanges cut but I like rare parts so I'm going to try Leo's idea of fabbing a ring and see if that works. Still wouldn't mind knowing what brand I have here. They are even double walled so they won't blue up.

looks like they might be Honda pipes they mount using half rings under the flange, see if there is a under cut groove in the back of the flange, the fact they are double wall backs this idea up most after-market stuff is single wall, double wall is to costly to make in limited numbers

Attachments

• muffler-clamp.JPG
    muffler-clamp.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Hmm, interesting. I was thinking that I needed the half rings. I have 3 CB's so I've definitely seen them. I may have to check the pipes as they come out of the engine and where they land on the frame. Maybe they are a set of factory pipes from another bike. Damn you PO!!! :cussing:

Back