Help need new carbs

Lester

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hey guys,

this summer I bought an non running XS with overhauled engine... figued out it was a carb issue as I swaped carbs with a running bike and it fired right up...

The summers are pretty short here in Norway so I will bite the bullet and invest in a set of rebuilt carbs so I know I am rid of the problem and have the others as spares.

Can some one please direct me to a realiable source for carbs??? Any other suggestions are welcome.... I'll be running a 750 kit if it matters.... not going raceing... i'm just a fat ass...lol

Cheers

Lester

Check your local bike salvage places, Ebay and any other place you can think of. The stock carbs are good carbs, they just need to be clean and properly tuned. Have you read www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf ?
Leo

XSLeo,

thanks for the info... The carbs in my possession have been proble for the previous owner for years so I will use them for parts only. Ebay.... yes its an option but I would like to have a ready to go set I know are good. Stock is good. There has to be somebody reliable and knowledgable out there rebuilding them.

Lester

Hey Lester, I don't know if this helps or not,but oldsckoolcarbs would be a good place to ask about carbs. He knows about these carbs and might have a set ready to go for you.

XSLeo,

Great link.... thanks again.

Johnt3... I googled oldskool.com strainght away... sent off a mail, hope I found the right one and that he answers.

thanks guys

Lester

Oldskoolcarbs is a member on the site here and is listed in the shops section for carb rebuilds and his email is rick690@msn.com

Hope this helps.

Another option that I have explored is transplanting a set of US spec EX500 carbs on to the XS. It does require a bit of rejetting and cable work but they have performed extremely well for me. I got my set of sonic cleaned carbs for under $80 so the price was good too.

ippytattoo,
Thanks, I have already received a mail from rick.... he is out of cores but will try to get some ASAP for me. I'll have the EX carbs as an option... cool!

So, although you will buy new carbs(new to you) You plan on keeping the old ones for parts? So, what is the problem with the old carbs? If you knew, they wouldnt become spares.
What if you part out your old carbs to fix the new someday, and it dont work? Whats the point in keeping them?
Unless some one used a hammer to 'fix' your current carbs, they can be fixed.
The PO probly had problems because the shop he took it to didnt know anything about them. But we do.
At least try.
What have you done so far?

Angus,

You are right they have been work on with a sledge hammer but have new diaphrams and gaskest and floats.... all else I am unsure of. They were "rebulilt" and may have wrong parts ect... a good set of properly reworked carbs is a good investment for me.

Lester

I am happy with my old school rebuilt carbs . For me it was worth the money to have my carbs done by a pro . I do plan on getting another XS in the future and as long as I have one on the road and running right I can tinker with the other . I would still pay for ultra-sonic cleaning even if I was doing my own rebuild .

I am happy with my old school rebuilt carbs . For me it was worth the money to have my carbs done by a pro . I do plan on getting another XS in the future and as long as I have one on the road and running right I can tinker with the other . I would still pay for ultra-sonic cleaning even if I was doing my own rebuild .

My thoughts exactly.... esspecailly when they are mystery carbs from hell on this earth to ruin a good riding season...:yikes:
OldSchoole was reasonalbe as wel.... its worth it no doubt.

Back