Help needed for Cafe Build

jonez2k1

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey folks,
I'm looking to turn my 79 XS650 Special into a Cafe Racer...
I understand how expensive this CAN be & how it all depends on how deep I wanna go into things but 1st and foremost I'm needed help on how to get the "level" look... I THINK that the 18-19" front wheel and the freakin 16" rear wheel has a good bit to do with it but I'm not all the way sure.
I'm catching hell finding an 18 or 19" real mag wheel that I can put a decent width tire on, so my question is this: If I get some taller shocks before I find a matching sized rear wheel, shouldnt I be able to still use the taller shocks??? I'm assuming they're adjustable..
Please shoot me some things to consider, ways to get the level look if I'm wrong with the assumption that this is how to go about it. I know I could cut the fork springs or upgrade them, but for starters- where should I be??? I'm not tryin to let this whole summer slip by me before I start riding..

Here's what I did to start leveling out on a budget, stock '79 Special Mag wheels. About $200 for the rear shocks.

This is stock shocks (12.75" ish) and the front forks about a 1/2 inch up in the triple trees.
530357_854442423730_1439027458_n.jpg

I put on Hagon Twins, 360mm from Dave Quinn, front forks still about 1/2 in up in the trees. Based on fork compression I could lower them a little more but I'm limited by my handlebars.
536436_858453166170_738827064_n.jpg

That does a pretty good job of leveling out the tank and seat, although the gauges still make it look unbalanced but smaller, lower mounted gauges in the future will resolve that. Even with the different wheel sizes, the larger sidewalls of the rear tire (stock sizes) make them closer in size that you think. So yeah, $200 and and about an hour of time to swap shocks and push the forks up a bit.

Someone with a bigger beard can correct me here, but I don't believe most motorcycle shocks are length adjustable, just preload. At least from what I've seen.

~ Derek

Man thanks!!! I kinda thought that the shocks would make a difference but didnt know if I needed to wait til I got a bigger rear wheel...
Dang, man I'm about to do some ordering!
I'll post some pics within the next week or so (however long it takes for them to come in).

Man thanks!!! I kinda thought that the shocks would make a difference but didnt know if I needed to wait til I got a bigger rear wheel...
Dang, man I'm about to do some ordering!
I'll post some pics within the next week or so (however long it takes for them to come in).

Easy, Hoss.

If you're going to get a different rear wheel you need to consider what difference that will make in the future. Jack up the back end with some long shocks and then end up with a inch or two larger diameter in the future and the back end is going to go higher.

Also, you may encounter chain rub on the swingarm with longer shocks. Mine did not but that result varies and plenty of people have. Keep this in mind. Also, my seat is very low compared to a stock seat. When I'm sitting on it there is less than two inches between my butt and the frame rails. If you don't have a big inseam, good luck with sitting on a stock seat with 14+ inch shocks.

Do a lot of research on this site before you make your final decision, there is a wealth of information here. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions.

Where did you get the butt stop and the seat?

http://www.jbmotoco.com/

It was custom made and mounted to my frame, I like to do all my own work but after two failed glassing attempts my wonderful girlfriend bought it for me as a birthday/Christmas present. The padding I made after I got the glass seatpan from them. Just some seat aluminum with some yoga mat layers wrapped in waterproof vinyl.

Excuse the crotch shot...

399514_784924588030_2020834773_n.jpg

407205_786307057550_1538898050_n.jpg

420209_805533233140_1090814612_n.jpg

~ Derek

I went through that on my RR build. The OD of your tire/wheel will be similar between a 16" rim and an 18" rim, so not as much worry as you are thinking. Just watch chain rub when picking longer shocks, or add a chain tensioner. You should be OK with 13-1/2" shoicks or less.

Many of us add slightly longer than stock shocks to improve the handling. About 12 5/8" to 12 3/4" is stock. Most of us use something in the 13" to 13 3/4" range. I would think Derek's 360mm (14 3/16") shocks are about as long as you'd want to go. I run some 340mm (13 3/8") Konis. They fit and work well. Even with that small length increase, I needed to extend my sidestand to correct the lean angle when parked.

You really don't want to slide your fork tubes up much more than 1/2". The lowers will slam into the bottom tree on full compression if you do.

I went through that on my RR build. The OD of your tire/wheel will be similar between a 16" rim and an 18" rim, so not as much worry as you are thinking. Just watch chain rub when picking longer shocks, or add a chain tensioner. You should be OK with 13-1/2" shoicks or less.

Thanks,
After I really sat and looked- visualizing it all, I can see what you're saying.

Many of us add slightly longer than stock shocks to improve the handling. About 12 5/8" to 12 3/4" is stock. Most of us use something in the 13" to 13 3/4" range. I would think Derek's 360mm (14 3/16") shocks are about as long as you'd want to go. I run some 340mm (13 3/8") Konis. They fit and work well. Even with that small length increase, I needed to extend my sidestand to correct the lean angle when parked.

You really don't want to slide your fork tubes up much more than 1/2". The lowers will slam into the bottom tree on full compression if you do.

I'm still looking around but I've narrowed it down to 13-1/2" or 13-3/8" shocks which doesn't seem to be much of a difference, but what I'm finding out as I go along is that everything I do, needs to be well thought out to avoid altering the ride, handling, or both (if not something else)....

Back