Help...Pamco e-advance & Hughes PMA, Timing?

formular6

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Long term 1979 xs650 special cafe project...finally close to the finish line and finishing the wiring. Maybe having timing issue, not sure. Pamco has to be fully rotated to the right to get bike started. Timing chain tension adjusted, valves adjusted, carbs synced and did piston stop per hughes instruction for tdc. Is the timing 180 deg off? Why does the Pamco have to be rotated so far right to run? Video attached of timing light.

Attachments

• 20150709_091519.jpg
    20150709_091519.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 174
formular6,

The picture looks like the plate is to the far right, not left. Timing is to the "F" mark or equivalent on the Hughes setup, not TDC. If your timing light has an adjustable preset, then set it to zero. Do not use the pre set function. The PAMCO will work 180 out as it fires both cylinders at the same time, so the 180 is not an issue. You could try loosening the nuts holding the PAMCO rotor and advancer cap then hold the rotor in the counterclockwise position as you tighten the nuts back. That will move the slack to the advance side which would then allow you to rotate the plate counterclockwise and closer to the center position.

Except for the plate position, the video of the timing light looks just fine, so try the loosening and re tightening of the rotor nuts.

Pete,

Thanks for the quick reply. Holding the rotor counterclockwise helped, I was able to rotate the plate counterclockwise a little more. Keep up the great customer service and product.

Attachments

• 20150710_083217.jpg
    20150710_083217.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 144
Have you done any engine work? If you are still running the old cam chain it can be stretched. This allows the cam to be retarded. This lets the timing be retarded.
When I got my 75 it was a very worn engine. I had to grind the points backing plate to allow it to move enough to time right.
After I rebuilt it and the new chain put everything right.
Leo

Back