Help Please How do you keep gas from leaking out of the threaded holes

cruzin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, I bought a tank some time ago. Just put fuel in it a couple weeks ago. The tank has 3 threaded holes for fuel supplies. Im only using one of them. I bought a flush mount aluminium plugs some time back and I cant keep gas from weeping I even tried thread tape. That did not last long. What are you guys using? Any help will be appreciated.

And another thing, I bought a cable couple years ago Motion pro for the throttle. Got my throttle today and put it on and its about a half inch short. Can I pull it apart down by the carbs and cut some off the outer coating?

Last edited:
Have you tried a gasket? I used a peice of innertube to seal up a petcock on a 1980. If you do that, dont go to tight. It will deform the rubber and leak.

Ok, I bought a tank some time ago. Just put fuel in it a couple weeks ago. The tank has 3 threaded holes for fuel supplies. Im only using one of them. I bought a flush mount aluminium plugs some time back and I cant keep gas from weeping I even tried thread tape. That did not last long. What are you guys using? Any help will be appreciated.

And another thing, I bought a cable couple years ago Motion pro for the throttle. Got my throttle today and put it on and its about a half inch short. Can I pull it apart down by the carbs and cut some off the outer coating?

Hi cruzin,
first, I think angus's fix is for the tap to tank seal on an XS650 tank and your tank is an aftermarket one with three threaded bosses in it?
It depends on what thread the bosses have in them.
If it's a pipe thread it needs a taper-threaded plug wrapped in Teflon tape or smeared with pipe sealant reefed in hard to make a seal.
If your plugs are threaded parallel they ain't gonna seal.
OTOH, if the bosses are a normal thread they'll need a plug with a head and a sealing washer to keep the gas in.

Great suggestions guys I will check them out to see what the threads are. Ive tried pipe thread. but if I got the wrong plug in it the tape wont last.

are you using teflon tape that's for fuel applications. Mine is yellow.

No big deal but the first thing listed on the label is GASOLINE. Works on my bike

Attachments

• k2-_dacacc39-3abd-47bd-a4c5-09d58131608b.v2.jpg
    k2-_dacacc39-3abd-47bd-a4c5-09d58131608b.v2.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 186
The thought crossed my mind about welding those extra ones closed before fuel was put in it. Back in the 70's I bought a fibreglass coffin tank for my hd chop and it was a leaker. Had and expensive paint on it also. Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I got some yellow I use for natural gas Ill try that first thing. I used white.

I first came across the thread sealant below as the manufacturer's recommendation for the oil drain plug in my Buell. It is not thread locker but a real good sealant for petro products. I used it on the gas tank bolts when I replaced my petcocks.

565™ Controlled Strength PST® Pipe Thread Sealant with PTFE, White, 6mL Tube

Absolutely worst case I'm sure you can tap the holes out the NPT or some other tapered thread so you can get this sealed up. I've had good luck in my past with sealing washers and a bit of thread sealant.

Back