help please

jake82650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
ok so heres the deal im having all kinds of trouble w my 82 firing im a newb and needing to know where the best spot to get a coil is... seems like all you guys are pretty badass on here can you help a guy out? thanks

Check the coil resistance before you replace it to make sure it's bad. If it is, Mikesxs sells replacement coils. But they charge a lot for shipping. Another place to try is ebay or the classifieds here on the forum.

ok thanks man i live in mo and have it at a shop the guy doesnt know what to do... il tell him to do that not very reassuring but im pretty clueless when it comes to workin on bikes its an 82 gettin fuel and spark at times but when he checks the three lines coming from the ignition the green shows positive soetimes then grounded other would that be the coil causing that

CC is right get a manual do the trouble shooting all you need is a dime store VOM and a little time figure out where your problem is then buy parts. download the factory manual here. http://www.biker.net/650parts_index.html

This link has the info on your ignition system. http://www.biker.net/650_service/650_svc_gsg.PDF

If the shop guy can't follow it he's not competent to do the work, that simple.
Once you find out where the problem is post on here the parts you need are around, just ask.
The ignition system only has a few parts
pick up coils
TCI
ignition coil
wires/connectors
spark plugs.
The manual will narrow it down to where the problem is.
Before you tear apart the ignition make sure you have good 12 volts where it needs to be. The fuse box is a notorious problem area as are the ignition switch, grounds, bad connectors etc. Like every other old bike in the land.

thanks... mikes is out of stock for the pamco ignition for my 82 and i didnt see one on t bros does anyone have onbe for sale that is good that i can by really need to get my xs on the road it survived the joplin tornado and this is all thats keepin me from riding..

I've found that when troubleshooting one of the worst things you can do is start replacing parts willy-nilly. Take it one piece at a time, and you'll find the trouble.

Back