Help slowing down the idle

Morgantician

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My '82 is idling a bit fast and I want to slow it down. It's sitting at around 1300-1500 according to the on board tach (which I realize isn't totally accurate, but it's noticeably fast to my ear and I'd like to slow it down to a nice low rumble). I've obviously got the choke all the way out but I'm not sure what kind of adjustments I can make to the carbs and/or motor to help me out - I'm a bit of a noob.

For what it's worth, I've changed out the air filters to pods and chopped the stock pipes down to right below the foot pegs. I've made carb adjustments to compensate for the fact, but in turn it's sped up the idle. Help?

Thanks!

If the idle won't slow any more with the idle speed screw all the way out, that usually indicates your carbs are out of sync. One butterfly plate has closed all the way and the other is still open a bit. Play with the sync screw between the carbs and you should be able to pull that idle down. On a synced set of carbs, if you back the idle speed screw all the way out, it should stall the engine.

Depending on the year 1200 or 1500 is the idle speed. If you try to run it much slower it can stall unexpectedly and won't chahrge the battery as well at idle.

Back