Help - Stripped bolt hole on clutch cover?

artpongs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the XS650 mine is 1977 D model I've had about 2yrs and back on the road finally this week. I have limited knowledge and workspace so had a shop refurb it to running condition and at the moment it rides fine but still gathering missing and original parts wherever I can. My issue is, I notice a small amount of oil dripping from the right side and upon further inspection, I believe it is coming from the bolt hole right in front of where the tachometer enters the housing. I turned the nut and it does not tighten and I was able to back it out for the following picture.

What is this bolt for? Bikebandit lists it as not available anymore. The tachometer and speedometer operates just fine. Short of sourcing another clutch cover, is there any way to repair this? If a new cover is needed, what years models are compatible? Thank you.

Art

Attachments

• IMG_4543.JPG
    IMG_4543.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_4545.JPG
    IMG_4545.JPG
    377.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
I don't see any picture. The shop that worked on your bike likely over torqued the bolt and stripped the thread. If its one of the cover bolts, they are a very small thread and need only a small amount of torque. You will have to re-tap a new thread of the next size larger.

Pic showed up now I guess. That bolt goes into a hole in the arrangement the tach cable screws into and keeps it in. Without the bolt holding it in that whole thing will pull out, and probably drop a particular washer into the oil pump area.

If the hole is stripped, it's prob. because it wasn't lined up with the hole and so wouldn't go deeper and somebody wanted it deeper anyway.

So if the hole is really stripped, easiest thing might be to get a new cover. Got the usual remedies, but that would probably be easiest and possibly cheapest and when you were finished it'd be right.

Last edited:
Back