HELP, Switch to first gear went all wrong

bret

'81 Special
Reaction score
I was about to make a right turn and switched into 1st gear and immediately heard a horrible sound like gears grinding or something. My rear tire locked up and I skidded a couple of feet. Luckily I was going slow. I then looked at the ground to see that a heavy amount of my oil had leaked out onto the ground.
I have no idea what went wrong but it didn't sound good. After a few minutes the back tire unlocked and I was able to move it to the side of the road but the throttle is locked. Any ideas what is wrong/what I can do to fix it?

Quite possibly. That sounds like it could be right. It made a really loud sound. My chain is very loose. That's the only thing I know that might be wrong

that was my second thought, that the drive chain bound up and broke something up front.

what do you mean by "the throttle is locked"?

You engine braked throwing the slack of the drive chain into the clutch push rod.
Most likely it is bent(here is where you probably pushed it backwards and it "unlocked") and the seal(there'e the oil) needs replaced.
Regarding the throttle check your cabling.

You'll now need to remove the left foot peg, shifter lever and left engine cover to see inside. The cause was most likely one of 2 things, a loose chain or a loose drive sprocket. The cure may or may not be apparent when you remove the cover.

Clean everything up thoroughly, look for bent or broken parts and look very closely for cracks in cases.

Somehow I think your throttle issue is unrelated and we'll deal with that later.

1 problem at a time.

PS. Weekendrider nailed it.

PPS. Watch that a single ball bearing doesn't fall out and roll away when you remove the cover. You'll need that really badly to make your clutch work.

PPPS. Don't feel too bad. I've got 40 years of learning this crap the hard way too.

Last edited:
lmfao ppps! ;)

Every time I see what many would think is a really dumb problem obviously caused by operator error I think back to when I had a similar problem and usually it was my fault. We were all dumb once. The smart ones are only dumb once. I wish I could say I would be wrenching or riding this weekend but instead my partners and I will be on the roof of our new to us shop. Have a great weekend. :bike:

Besides the dirt and grease, can anyone tell from these pictures what might be wrong?

download

download

download

Nope, the pics are forbidden fruit for me.
Have you got the left cover off? There is a rod in front of the drive sprocket it has to be straight.

Sorry you all can't see the pictures. The rod in front of the drive sprocket looks straight to me. Assuming it is, will I be good to go if I just add oil? I don't know where or how the oil leaked out but besides that I really don't see anything that looks wrong.

Back