Help with Clutch Pushrod

Gasstationgarry

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I did some looking before making an account and couldn't find anything, but the other day while my friend was riding my bike the chain snapped due to a new chain with very old sprockets. I currently have a new chain along with the stock-sized front and rear sprockets. The problem I run into is that when the chain broke off at about 30mph it swung and broke the outer clutch pushrod. as I understand the 80 came with the 2 piece pushrod. would I just have to replace the outer pushrod or the entire assembly?
broken pushrod.jpg

Well yes, you could just replace that short outer pushrod but a nice upgrade is to replace them both with the long one piece rod used on the earlier models.

Pushrod.jpg

I'm not really sure but it may have had something to do with the expansion rate of the all steel early long rod adding so much freeplay to the clutch lever when things got hot. The longer rod in the later set-up is alloy with steel end caps so it expands closer to the same as the alloy engine cases. But, that begs the question - why didn't they just make a new long rod with an alloy center? They used long alloy rods in some of their other bikes .....

XS360-400-500ClutchPushrod.jpg

Back