Help with eletrical issue.

The Riverbug

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finalizing bike after a billions issues, and now when trying to start with electric start no problems, but kick start it blows the main fuse. Red wire get really hot all the way to the headlamp. It was an aftermarket brand new wire harness for the bike.(xs650sf 79')
We believe coils are ok, got spark from each side. The coils are stock as is everything else. Oh yeah two years and counting on this project. ( but she's looks good!! ) Would like to finally ride this girl:)

Attachments

• Photo217 (2).jpg
    Photo217 (2).jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Photo228.jpg
    Photo228.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Well that sounds strange, the kick uses absolutely nothing electrical that just running doesn't.
A cut wire touching where it passes through the headlight shell is fairly common.
Unplug the headlight and see if anything changes?
I guess I'd be looking for an inadvertent mis-connect of a wire in the shell.
Easy to mix up turn signal wires.

Well that sounds strange, the kick uses absolutely nothing electrical that just running doesn't.
A cut wire touching where it passes through the headlight shell is fairly common.

And guess where I was tinkering around? I'm on it!

I found off of the motor a wiring harness that had a single wire in heat shrink (black) the actual color of the wire was blue, the same color as the tach and speedo light. Not sure where this would terminate? any ideas.

Back