Help with engine paint removal.

If you end up getting to a point that you're pulling your hair out I have a spare head on my bench from my runner I'd swap with you (so long as you didnt put financial investment in yours, i.e porting, valve job, etc.). It's dirty for sure, but no paint that I can see. No pressure, but giving you the option of an out
Thanks for the offer, I have actually spent a fair amount of time on the ports in this one. I have another motor that dropped an exhaust valve I have yet to tear it apart to see how bad the head is. Its the one currently in the chopper for mock up. If every thing else fails, I'll paint this head/rocker box "aluminum".

This may be a dumb question to some, but the method for cleaning rusty iron is electrolysis in a solution. Is it possible to pursue a like course for the head to remove the paint?
'TT'

Yep, I've been in the same situation with stubborn old factory top-end paint. Vapor blasting with #180 Aluminum Oxide @ approx. 50psi air pressure is far superior to dry blasting and your best bet at this point.

I built a vapor blaster from a std. blasting cabinet 2 yrs. ago. Most expensive part is a trash pump (~$300), perhaps $1400 all-in. Also needs an air compressor capable of 20CFM minimum. I can provide pics, parts list & schematic if interested.

Rusty Pyles has already suggested aircraft paint stripper. Some aircraft service companys have large tanks with paint stripper in them. The stripper takes paint off aluminium airframe components. Try asking one of these companies near you if they will put the head in the tank.

This may be a dumb question to some, but the method for cleaning rusty iron is electrolysis in a solution. Is it possible to pursue a like course for the head to remove the paint?
'TT'
I have a 55gal electrolysis tank, but its a huge no no with aluminum. Electrolysis with consume aluminum, it only works properly with ferrous iron.

Yep, I've been in the same situation with stubborn old factory top-end paint. Vapor blasting with #180 Aluminum Oxide @ approx. 50psi air pressure is far superior to dry blasting and your best bet at this point.

I built a vapor blaster from a std. blasting cabinet 2 yrs. ago. Most expensive part is a trash pump (~$300), perhaps $1400 all-in. Also needs an air compressor capable of 20CFM minimum. I can provide pics, parts list & schematic if interested.
My compressor is only rated at 12.6CFM @40psi>. Also, I have zero room left something as big as a vapor blast cabinet. I'd have to find someone that already has one, or talk my company into getting one :sneaky:.

Easy off?

Pressure washer with blast media attachment?

Motsenbacher's Lift Off.

Loctite Chisel gasket remover.

Funny, getting black paint off of a Yamaha engine block seems to be the complete opposite to what I have dealt with over the years.

Back