help with figuring out how to do a suicide shift

x_twig_x

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So here's the deal, was looking for a bobber frame to take three motor out of my 88 cbr1000f, a friend of mine told me he had a buddy selling a frame, well he told me this frame is a Harley frame and its has an xs650, motor is free, its a rolling chassis, then he told me $200 for it I said tell him its sold, so sight unseen I'm waiting to go pick it up, I know what I want to do with it, I have the vision in my head, I want to have a suicide shifter, foot clutch( I have heard of a rocker clutch that locks, never seen one though) so I'm looking for some advice on this, honestly I only need a clutch for dead stop starts, just make it a jammer,, really don't use a clutch with the hurricane, so would it hurt it much? Any and all input will be read with an open mind, unless your talking about not using a suicide cause its suicide, I'm set on it and have been for years, always told myself my first build will be a suicide so

Dude, 3X the horsepower and torque and twice the weight going into a bobber frame that housed an XS650 Motor? I wouldn't worry about the clutch setup just yet. Ya gotta get that wide, heavy, tall motor shoe-horned in there, aligned, and tied down first. Your friend says it's a "Harley" frame, but that don't mean much. Lots of cheap flexomatic stuff out there. Hope it's at least made for an evo motor.

Good Luck.

As far as your clutch and shift setup, direct linkage with lots of adjustability and bushed pivots is the way to go with both. I'm assuming left foot clutch. Most that work correctly are a direct link rod from the cam arm at the cam lever on the clutch housing, running directly forward to a high point on the pedal. Run it as low as possible for more feel, but often the rotor housing gets in the way of going too low. If the front attach is relatively close to the pivot point, you get more "feel", as your foot movement at the toe end is greater relative to the distance traveled by the rod.
Shift linkage for a close-ratio 6-speed gearbox should not be as problematic as a long throw crunch-o-matic 4 speed Big Twin, but still needs to be tight for positive shifting, especially clutchless. I'd keep the throw at the lever relatively short as well. You're best off to get some steel straps and go through some material perfecting the linkage geometry before you worry about final hardware. Yamaha Road Stars have some nice long stainless steel shift rods I'd look into for the long runs. They are often on E-bay for cheap.

On Jamming: even though that transmission does clutchless upshifts and downshifts in a fluid manner, the shift dogs will get worn faster that way. Every little bit of resistance equals some form of wear, and it will eventually come home to ya. Even though you use the slickest oil and keep it changed, the dogs are prone to a peening effect on the corners. They will flare, and sometimes make a little metal before she starts to balk on shifting. A clutch is easier to replace than shift forks.
$0.02

Last edited:
From what I remember he said the motor is in there, like I said I haven't even seen it yet, I might be getting into a massive headache, not to sure yet, I'm just trying to get everything figured out so that when I pick it up,I can get started on it

You might find a good sipping grade of brew and just study the 2 side by side for a day or two before hitting the wrenches!

Start sipping a good brew and before the night is done I will have so many crazy ideas in my head I'll have to start working on it lol, did that with a car once let's Hope this project makes it better than that one did

The key is to wait for a good buzz, then start writing down your ideas. Anything you can't read in the morning was probably a stupid notion anyway!

Wait, just seen you live in glacier country! You'll go cabin fever on the whole thing in about 3 weeks when it gets too cold to ride anyway!

too cold to ride? I have ride in every month of the year, as long as the nine starts and there's not pure ice on the road I'll ride, so us boys in glacier country are some pretty tough riders, it can be below freezing and some of us will ride lol

I can go as low as the temps in Texas (been out at 20 degrees), but the jackasses (mostly cities) that leave the sprinklers on have a way of creating obstacles I'm not keen on hurling! I know you crazy shits go stir crazy up there and ice race! Of course, y'all are doing that while I'm riding around New Year's Day in a light jacket!

Hope it all comes together in your mind once ya get a chance to look it over.

Its a double yes great day today, got a pic of the pic, wish I could upload it but my phone is being gay so its small but.it..my dp , also picked up an issue of the horse and what was in it, that's right foot clutch help, what a great day

full

Here it is from where I'm getting it from

I'd try to figure out how to tie that motor to 3 sides. Preferably the front, top and bottom tubes. That's a pretty open frame there. Nice lines to it.

rocker clutch, safer than suicide... http://www.jpcycles.com/product/630-285 Me? I'd like to stuff a Harley EVO engine into a hardtailed 650 XS frame... I did a souped up WLA (stroked from 45 cid to 57 cid) stuffed into a honda 305 scrambler (CL77) frame (with serious welding) & it came in at under 400 pounds. And yes, rocker clutch and jockey shift. Best scooter I ever had... Not the fastest, but still over 100 on El Mirage dry lake back in 1979...

full

Here it is from where I'm getting it from

Hi x_twig_x,
to be sure that I understand it, you are going to install a CBR1000 motor in that hardtail frame and the XS650 motor just happens to be there?
And your build will have a suicide shift.
OK then, lotsa bike builders on this list who will swamp you with good ideas.
Question from the rest of us:- How much for the XS650 mill?
Question from me:- I've seen several different definitions of a "suicide shift" what's your version look like?
BTW, I'd suggest that you can dream while you're drunk or buzzed but you should only build when you're sober.

Hi Skull,
damn! You may be right, 13 posts in 20 days back in '12 and then nothing.
Hopefully the OP didn't die, mebbe he just changed his interests?
Alas that I keep forgetting to check the OP date before engaging my typing finger.
Perhaps the editors could arrange for the posting date to be set in bigger text so it would be more readily drawn to us old folks attention?

Back