Help With Model and Year ID

espi118

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have had my bike for a few months now, but just now being able to start in on the build. I have tore it all down and chopped up the frame. Plan to go bobber style on a TC Bros hardtail. I have been meticulously researching the board everyday, gaining knowledge from every post. This will be my first of many builds. I have my uncle who has his own small engines repair shop to help me along the way. Looking forward to a learning experience.

I first want to purchase a manual. To do this, I first need some help identifying the year and model of my bike. I bought it with a title that says its a 1980 xs650s. After a little research I think that I have a 1980 xs650 SG. I would like to double check just to make sure. It has xs650 Special on the left panel (not pictured)

My VIN: 2F0-2120**

Not sure where to find the model code.

I want to double check because on the manufacturer sticker it says made on 10/79.

I have attached a pic of before I chopped it up. Sorry for the quality, its from a cell.

Also, what is the best manual to get?

Thanks for any help you can give a newbie :)

Attachments

• 650.jpg
    650.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 137
It's a pretty safe bet that it's an '80. These bikes are like cars - they start making the next year's models in the fall of the previous year. I recommend the factory manual. Find a used one on eBay. Just make sure it covers up to or past your model.

Download a factory manual and appropriate supplement here.
http://www.biker.net/650parts_index.html

Really no differences between the models in 80 that would be relevant to you.
You will (should) have bs34 carbs either brass or foam floats, if the brass floats are bad buy the foam ones.

Gary- Thanks for the info! Of course the link you gave me does not have the SG manual, but im sure the G will do just fine.

Thanks for bringing up the carbs. That was going to be my next post. When I got the bike, the carbs were off, so I just want to be sure I have what I need. I will post some pics in a little while.

Thanks again

Alright, here are the carbs. What do you guys think? After a lil research of my own, Im thinking they are BS 38's (not what I need) Any help is appreciated!

If these are the wrong carbs for my year, can I still run them? Change jets?

Thanks

Attachments

• P5100112.JPG
    P5100112.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 128
  • P5100113.JPG
    P5100113.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 135
yup they look like 78-9 BS38s, yes you can run them. Some say they are the best carb for the XS650. You need to have the intake connectors that fit those carbs. All the late engines are basically the same. If the bike has stockish exhaust and reasonable air filters, it should run with factory jetting. You should check to be sure they have the correct 78-79 jets, because you never know what the PO did.

Agreed....2F0 BS 38's characteristic of 78 and 79 intake carb holder boots were often substituted for BS 34's supplied OEM to the 80's and after. Could work well as Gary says. Blue

Well thanks for the good news, I was a lil worried. I actually plan on running pod filters with chopped pipes, so I'm sure Ill have to mess with them when I get it running.

Plan on ripping them apart soon and getting them nice and cleaned up.

Gary and blue- Thanks a ton for all the info! I know you guys are going to be huge help throughout this build.

SCHMEEL- I currently reside in Leo, IN. Little town just north of Fort Wayne. Have been to Columbia City many times. Went to Dekalb for high school.

Back