Help with white smoke out right side.

FathomYourFears

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up an '82 XS. It had been sitting for a little bit. Ridden every other year for 50-200 miles. I got it, put a new battery in and it fired right up, but ran poorly. Next o the list was to clean the carbs. Cleaned, still running poorly. Then I read about how the crappy PODs make our bikes run poorly. So I ripped the PODs off and its running a little better, but now I was getting fuel out of the right side. Turns out that plug was never connected fully. :doh: Now its running closer to like I know it should, but I'm getting a decent amount of smoke out of the right side. At first I thought it was burning off the excess fuel from the day before of trouble shooting, but after a spin around the block it is still smoking. Where should I check next? I did a compression test and the Right side was 156 and the left was 152. Could there be gas in my oil? It does seem a bit thin. Where should I be looking now? Thanks!

That's where I was going to head next. Maybe I tweaked em when I was in there cleaning them and didn't reset them when I re-assembled.

white is oil...check to se if the carbs are in sync and change that oil i run 20w50 Valvoline motorcycle could be a valve seal or maybe some rust on the cylinder walls run it and se if it gets better

Last edited:
Adjusted the float height and it definitely helped, but I'm still getting some smoke. Its worse when I rev. Going to change the oil next. If it still persists I'm thinking I'll adjust valves next? Or could it just be from sitting and getting the gunk out of the exhaust?

change that oil and get her on the road watch for heavy oil use and put a couple hundred miles on her and se if it clears up

Hey Underdog, I ride through Kaleva quite often on the weekends when I ride to Manistee. Maybe you've seen us parked at the tavern. If you want to ride with us sometime, let me know.

I'm having the same trouble with mine Fathom. They say it can be float height or needle jet o-rings that cause it, but I replaced my o-rings last year and my float height is dead on. I've re-torqued my head and that didn't help. So I'm guessing my head gasket is shot, or valve seals. I'm waiting for mikesxs to get cam guides in, to complete my order, so I can take it apart and fix it.

Often on a bike that has sat for long rust forms on the cylinders and rings. It can take a few hundred miles to wear this rust off and for the rings to reseat.
As others mention valve seals can be bad. Me, I'd ride it and see if it clears up.
If not then see about changing valve seals. It can be done with the engine in the bike. A bit of a search on valve seal replacement and you will find the info.
Leo

That's cool. We've got all summer. How far off are you? I'm in Beulah, by the way, so if you need some help hit me up.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my top end for this reason. Did everything you did and still had smoke. I was actually leaking oil out my exhaust there was so much that it fogged my plugs and the bike wouldn't start. Ended up being multiple things. Two blown valve seats, blown head gasket and base gasket (although that's probably not the culprit.) My cylinder head is at the shop, they media blasted the ports, reground and balanced the valves and reground the port lips along with replacing my seats. Would have done this myself but after 3 different spring compressors that failed I got fed up ha.

Back