Hens teeth

nj1639

Paleo-simplistic
Top Contributor
Reaction score
For laughs I went to eBay and punched in "Yamah Mini cruiser windscreen".
Looks like a total of three with hardware were available as of this moment.
No guarantee as to the application but they sure look like what I have and what's been seen on Machine's ride......and as he had stated and I concur, more of a deflector than a windshield.
I have no vested interest in the sale, just a "How 'bout that?"

Two windscreens with one set of brackets for $70, pretty good deal I think.
66CCD47D-5E9C-4129-B474-848CF8859293.png

:er: I will chime in about the fitment.
These shields compliment the "Special" gauge package the most. It is a tight fit and the screen mounts put the shield at a similar angle as the Special gauges.
Having installed the shield Firstly on my 78 Standard with standard bars, it wasn't a good fit.
Cafe modded Special , Oh Yes !
:cool:

FWIW...

webcattop_hd_ls_2.jpg

For $100 more, you can get a really high-quality National Cycle Flyscreen, which has a rock-solid and completely adjustable mounting system. The coverage appears to be similar. I'm using one. It really doesn't do much more than protect my gauges. However, on the freeway, I slide all the way back in my stock double seat, hunker down cafe-style, and it is incredibly effective when I am helmet-less, which is almost always. The buckhorn bars really pay off in this position. But this hunkering down is too uncomfortable for anything more than shortish freeway trips.
Effectiveness aside, it looks fantastic. I'd show it on my bike, but I'm kind of embarrassed by my bike's current uber-crusty condition...

FWIW...

View attachment 189294
For $100 more, you can get a really high-quality National Cycle Flyscreen, which has a rock-solid and completely adjustable mounting system. The coverage appears to be similar. I'm using one. It really doesn't do much more than protect my gauges. However, on the freeway, I slide all the way back in my stock double seat, hunker down cafe-style, and it is incredibly effective when I am helmet-less, which is almost always. The buckhorn bars really pay off in this position. But this hunkering down is too uncomfortable for anything more than shortish freeway trips.
Effectiveness aside, it looks fantastic. I'd show it on my bike, but I'm kind of embarrassed by my bike's current uber-crusty condition...
Don’t be embarrassed, let’s see the screen! Just had a look on National’s website and didn’t see a fly screen. The ones listed were all quite large. Did you get a universal screen?

http://www.nationalcycle.com/flyscreen-hd.html
Here's the link. I'll try to get a pic up by tomorrow.
I just noticed that they mention fork mount or headlight mount. I think the headlight mount is new, and I don't like the idea. The fork mount is what makes it unique and so solid.
Thx DogB, still can’t find a direct application for my ‘76. I’ll wait to have a look at your fitment.

Wow, they've really made it complicted. When I bought mine, there was a single model to buy.
What we want is surely the one for Sportsters, more specifically the early Sportsters, so that would be N2530 if you want clear/chrome.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NATIONAL-C...272373&hash=item2cf5b72ec6:g:KRUAAOSwUM5aF2ZD
This link confirms that. Exactly what I have. Fork mount, with rubber strips to adapt to different fork tube diameters.

DSC01145.jpg

The National Cycle Flyscreen. With a small-diameter TY headlight, but it will work just fine with the stock headlight, BUT NOT with the stock ears!!!

DSC01147.jpg

The chrome oval-shaped mount piece is what it makes it so adjustable. It slides up and down the fork tubes, allows for closer to or further away from the tubes, and allows you to adjust the backward tilt of the screen -- a lot. Once positioned, those allen head bolt that you see tighten on splined connections, making everything immovable.

DSC01146.jpg

DSC01142.jpg

DSC01143.jpg

Last edited:
I had to go back and edit my previous post. The Flyscreen will NOT work with the stock ears. It has to clamp directly to the fork tubes.

index.jpg

So, I am using these janky stamped steel EMGO fork ears.

index2.jpg

But, there are plenty of nice, reasonably-priced cast Aluminum ears out there.

Kinda Mad Max lookin' don't ya think? :agree:
I assume you mean the bike, not the Windshield.

index3.jpg

The Flyscreen is actually an almost perfectly scaled-down version of an old-school Harley windshield.

Who was it said in the ol' 650rider forum "We don't care if you ride a toilet, we want to see pictures!"?
The love of these 650's in any form surpasses all forms. The only separation of the wheat from the chaff is those that get one of these bikes in passing and either give up on themselves or flip it. Ride what you love, love what you ride.

Who was it said in the ol' 650rider forum "We don't care if you ride a toilet, we want to see pictures!"?
The love of these 650's in any form surpasses all forms. The only separation of the wheat from the chaff is those that get one of these bikes in passing and either give up on themselves or flip it. Ride what you love, love what you ride.
Well put. In post #5 I said "I'm kind of embarrassed by my bike's current uber-crusty condition..." That comment was for the Forum. I'm actually uber-proud of it, and not the least bit embarrassed to be seen on it. It's set up the way I like, and has run perfectly with very little investment in time or money for the more than 10 years that it has been my number one bike. What more could you want?

I had to go back and edit my previous post. The Flyscreen will NOT work with the stock ears. It has to clamp directly to the fork tubes.

View attachment 189684
So, I am using these janky stamped steel EMGO fork ears.

View attachment 189685
But, there are plenty of nice, reasonably-priced cast Aluminum ears out there.

I assume you mean the bike, not the Windshield.

View attachment 189686
The Flyscreen is actually an almost perfectly scaled-down version of an old-school Harley windshield.
I think it should fit above my headlamp ears?

3986CB15-30DE-4DA4-94C6-6861873D3861.jpeg

Back