Here is what I'm working with

Dozuki

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I know i promised pics sooner than this but life got in the way that and the wifes to do list. I think I have all of the parts that came off of the old girl. I even found some little baggies with bolts and screws for seat mounting and carb parts. I also have a slew of parts that I have been gathering. I have an extra gas tank, side panels, front and rear rims, another set of carbs, front disk brake and master cylinder and some other odds and ends. So that is where i am right now. I am making a list of what I have and what I need and what I think can be fixed. I have one big question for all the engine guys. This one has been sitting for a couple of years. Is there some way of telling if it would be fixable by just looking at it with minor tear down and what would let me know that it just needs to be replaced.

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_1731.jpg
    IMG_1731.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1744.jpg
    IMG_1744.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1732.jpg
    IMG_1732.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 96
You can see if the engine will turn over. The cap with the small Yamaha in, take it off, get a 17mm socket, try to turn the engine(crank), that will tell you if the pistons are stuck or not. If they are not stuck, I would do a compression test on the engine. 130 - 150 psi should be fine in each cylinder, no more then 10% of each other. At a minimum, I would install new valve seals, and the clutch oil seal.

If the pistons are stuck, pour in a bit of ATF and let it sit for a few days or even a week and try to spin the crank again...

I hope this helps..

Lawrence

Last edited:
Looks like it sat outside for a while. If it turns over you can get it running. Just double the cost of what you think it will be. The bottom ends are nearly indestrucable. Probably $200 in gaskets and rings for a ring job if you do it youself.

I would like to do the whole restore myself but am afraid it will take a long time since i am not really mechanically inclined. Maybe I will be by the time its over. Will check to see if the pistons are stuck or not. Thanks for the pointer lettle.

Not that it matters, but your bike is either a 1974 TX650a, or a 1975 XS650b. The guys here are a very helpful bunch, and many parts are still available for this bike. Best of luck to you!

Back