Here's a weird problem, front brake

Dogbunny. Now that's what I'm talking about! I think you hit it right on the head. And I bet those same original lines are still on there. I'm sure that's exactly what I'm going to find. But my original dated hoses are not getting replaced.
Appreciate the input guys.

Let's really go crazy, I can't tell you how many original classics I had with the original tires that were cracked throughout. & I drove them and drove them and drove them. I've never seen one explode or shred apart.

Posted via Mobile

I have learned that "getting by with something" is not the same as "doing it right". Not calling you out, you are old enough to live by your own rules. Yes I have done many "get by with it" maintenance repairs, I have also been bit a time or three. I hope you buy new batteries and replace old tires on your bike finds.

rpmalerba:

You have the worst "Safety Attitude" I have ever heard about. I hope any young inexperienced riders reading this thread, totally ignore your remarks concerning old tires and old rubber brake lines.

While you may yet kill yourself due to lack of maintenance of your vehicles, its really concerning that you do elevator maintenance, on elevators that the general public has to ride on.

Dogbunny. Now that's what I'm talking about! I think you hit it right on the head. And I bet those same original lines are still on there. I'm sure that's exactly what I'm going to find. But my original dated hoses are not getting replaced. - - - Let's really go crazy, I can't tell you how many original classics I had with the original tires that were cracked throughout. & I drove them and drove them and drove them. I've never seen one explode or shred apart.

Hi rpmalerba,
betcha the crud from those original lines made a major contribution to your vent blockage?
And even if your original rubber lines are still in perfect condition and not, as I suspect, degenerated inside like grandpa's arteries; stainless lines are a brake performance upgrade that I'd recommend to anybody.
Better brakes is a good thing. Just like tires that haven't lost their grip over time.
Please say the original classics still running original tires had 4 wheels on them?

rpmalerba:

You have the worst "Safety Attitude" I have ever heard about. I hope any young inexperienced riders reading this thread, totally ignore your remarks concerning old tires and old rubber brake lines.

While you may yet kill yourself due to lack of maintenance of your vehicles, its really concerning that you do elevator maintenance, on elevators that the general public has to ride on.

:agree:

I don't think this'd be a "weird problem" if routine maintenance were performed......I wonder how the oil in an XS would look after 10,000 miles! :doh::banghead: NOT!

I've a drum front on the 1B, but I flush the braided line equipped Ninja every year or two.

Ironically I'm the guy constantly repairing and fixing elevators all over our state from lack of maintenance and extremely unsafe circumstances.
Give me a 60's Honda sitting in a barn with cracked tires, frozen front caliper, and I'll be riding around the neighborhood with no worries.
If its a bike I'm going to keep and ride, obviously I put new tires on it. But if I'm turning it over I point out to the new owner and its his choice. But have never had one blow, lose air , or explode. It's a fact it's just the way it is. Scare tactics won't work with me.
I am the number one guy that shuts an elevator down, tags and locks it out if there's the slightest chance it's unsafe for public use. I don't need to explain myself to you.

Posted via Mobile

All that brag, and you think a common problem is "weird?" As my wife is fond of reminding me, "If you won't hear it, you're gonna have to feel it."

Fact not brag, and the problem is odd.
Say what you want but I'm the guy that already put in the decades. Already proved his point as I'm still alive with bikes still in my life. Though the Yamaha does have a weird problem? But I'll take care of that this Saturday, original lines and all.
Life's too short to get into insults with people you don't know.
Have a safe day.

Posted via Mobile

"Yesterday I spent 5 hours in a stupid long un needed safety class for my elevator company. The over kill of safety stuff is time wasting and costly. One guy out of millions gets hurt because " shit happens" and were sitting down watching clips and taking test. We have to wear high boots with steel toes, glasses, long slevees, company clothes, GLOVES! and now clip some stupid fiber sheet over the electrical area were working on in case something sparks. OMG. Real world experience, take the service manuals, and corporate knowledge from idiots and stick em."

" I deal with 100 year old elevators, many parts are old and cruddy, but they keep running. Decades ago we changed hydraulic oil in the tanks every 3 years, BY THE BOOK. Not anymore, and they keep going up and down, and some jobs the oil looks like black ink, but they move the elevator just fine."

I think your words characterize your view of safety and the safety of others.I have a lot of experience working in large power plants, that contain many hazards. If you were an employee in a power plant, you would be a menace to yourself and to your fellow workers.

Yeah we'll guess what Mr retired.
I worked on the freight elevators in one of your huge power plants.
You know what my company adviced me of, about the dangers in your plant? Nothing.
I was given a night time service call with no idea of your over the top parinoid safety policy.
I walked in the plant without wearing a hard hat. You know why, because my company that makes me sit down for long boring safety meetings, sent me there totally unprepared.
You sound like a bunch of baby little scaredy cats. Grow a set. We're living in a world where I meet other contractors that have to put safety glasses on in the parking lot the second they get out of their van. Is that the type of life you want? It's over the top and ridiculous.
Other companies have cameras on the mirror facing the road and cameras facing the driver. You so much as eat a snack, drink a coffee or do anything without two hands on the wheel you're fired.
What's the matter you can't use your own common sense? Big brother and companies have to hold your hand and tell you what is safe and unsafe because you can't figure it out yourself? You want me to wear glasses while I'm drilling, fine, you want me to wear glasses while I'm grinding, fine you want me to wear glasses if I'm working in a controller, fine. But to tell me after working over 20 years in the business that if I walk in a machine room without wearing glasses, that I can be fired is absolutely ridiculous. Its all about lawsuits and insurance companies it's not about safety at all. That's why we have to wear gloves, even though in most cases it's impossible to work with them.
Nothing more than a company covering their ass that if anything happens at all in any way, it's your fault. So they don't have to pay the insurance. Don't give me your safety crap. I'm old school, I can figure it out myself.

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
Remind me to tell you how at 3am I was working on a elevator car top 7 floors up. I dropped my flashlight and stepped over the cross top beam to get it. Even though I'm in service my company has me wearing big bulky heavy construction boots. Because of that, I didn't bend my ankle enough because, I used to wear NORMAL FOOT WEAR, and I tripped and rolled and almost fell off the edge of the elevator.
That's right, because of a over the top safety policy written by people that are not hands on in the business, my kids and wife almost ended up with no husband or dad. Take your safety s*** and shove it

Posted via Mobile

..I wonder how the oil in an XS would look after 10,000 miles? - - -

Hi NONclow,
a unique cocktail of gritty worn out engine oil, carbon particles, combustion acids and aluminum shavings.
Gasoline contamination and emulsified water content optional.
Oil is cheap. Parts are expensive.
Couple of personal "Scary old tire" stories. True, I swear.
Bought an R90 BMW from a neighbor some decades ago.
Pushed it home, pumped up the tires, borrowed the battery and plate off my XS650 and took it for an illegal test ride.
My first ever 900cc ride, let's open it up and see what it'll do?
got to 60kph in 2nd, OK. Shifted up through the gears, got to ~110 KPH and there's not much left.
Then I realised two things, seeing the tire cords through the cracks
between the front tire's ribs and remembering that the speedo was in MPH.
Snapped the throttle closed and slowly rode home.
Bought a very low mileage 1980 XS650 on my son's behalf back in 2002.
Seller proudly pointed out the nice condition of it's original tires.
Rode it home on wet roads. Those tires were as hard as wood.
Told my son, the bike is just about perfect but those tires gotta go.
I can't afford new tires, those tires look just fine!
Try it round the block and then tell me how they are?
Those tires gotta f**king go!
And Ray Warenko's rear tire replacement philosophy.
Ride it like mad until it starts to step out on corners. That tells you it's worn bald.
Then ride it careful until it starts hooking up again. That tells you the cords are showing.
Then ride real careful as you catalog shop for a new tire.
FWIW, Ray's been riding since his 'teenage and he'll be 60 next month.

Last edited:
Must be a bunch of evangelicals here. :popcorn:

Hi solo,
all we get here at the door are the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormons, which do you prefer?
Thing is, both sects are modern enough in origin that you can read up on how they started which always helps me in the discussions.
What I do is try to convert them to Catholicism "you may have Joseph Smith but we got two millennia of tradition and the fancy robes, we gave up on forced conversion centuries ago and the Spanish Inquisition is just a fond memory these days."
My JW used to stop and chat but these days he just puts the Watchtower in my mailbox.
After I told the Saints that the only reason they were missionaries was to dodge the draft they gave me a copy of the Book of Mormon and I ain't seen 'em since.

Word: if the MC has gunk, the caliper is worse. If you ride 70's-80's bikes and haven't stripped and cleaned the calipers, you have no idea what brakes are supposed to act like, even Honda brakes.

I kept a WWII surplus Clark "plane loader" forklift operational for decades and know what old equipment maintenance is. Think; real leather hydraulic seals. Actually that's a lot of where I learned wrenching from, I was operating it years before I had a drivers licence. Oddly that 60 year old fork lift is still in use today, and it's back at an airport now! (don't tell OSHA) their computers would blow their vacuum tubes.

Thanks for trying to save me, much appreciated but I think I'm OK and that's what matters.
If I purchase a 70/80 bike and the caliper is sticky, I tear it apart and clean it up. Never failed me.
If the bike stops, and then moves again freely, the brakes work, and I leave them alone.
Number one rule. If its not broke, don't fix it.
And the few times I rode an old barn fine on original tires, it's a country back road ride at a safe speed. Of course if it's for high end or constant use , the tires are replaced. if i saw chords popping through, I wouldn't even ride it.

Posted via Mobile

Remind me to tell you how at 3am I was working on a elevator car top 7 floors up. - - -

You are not alone,
my industrial glassblower buddy told me of his discussion with just such a Safety Guy:-
"You gotta wear gloves to handle glass or you'll cut yourself!
Gloves don't work for handling glass.
If the gloves are thin enough to allow handling the glass without dropping it they'll cut through just like they were skin and then I'd get cut too anyway.
You learn to work barehanded and keep a box of band-aids handy.
I'll find you gloves that won't do that and you WILL wear them.
Safety Guy turned up with a pair of scrap steel handler's gloves.
1/8" thick leather armored with a full coat of steel staples.
Oh thank you kind sir, I will wear them faithfully.
That was ten years ago.
They are still here in this drawer in case that clown ever comes back."

Thank you.
And thank the insurance companies. We live in a sad pathetic world of blaming everybody else. Law suits etc.....
I have a school bus license. For five years I was a school bus owner operator. Do you know they want you do a 200 point check, every time before you take the bus out. Including pushing on the front glass to make sure it doesn't fall out, checking the floors for loose screws etc checking your lug nuts, etc absolutely insane. It was my bus I knew it inside and out, I got in it and I drove it.
Never had a problem. & I was a type of bus driver that all my kids sat in their seat no legs in the aisle no standing up. I was extremely safe so I don't appreciate the comments that just because I don't want to change a brake line that doesn't have a problem, I'm some reckless slob. Nobody shuts down and locks out elevators more than me. Public safety is number one.
But the safety policies put on us as workers, is unrealistic, costing hours, and just plain foolish. Run by a bunch of people who never had their hands on wrenches, just books and numbers.

Posted via Mobile

Remind me to tell you how at 3am I was working on a elevator car top 7 floors up. I dropped my flashlight and stepped over the cross top beam to get it. Even though I'm in service my company has me wearing big bulky heavy construction boots. Because of that, I didn't bend my ankle enough because, I used to wear NORMAL FOOT WEAR, and I tripped and rolled and almost fell off the edge of the elevator.
That's right, because of a over the top safety policy written by people that are not hands on in the business, my kids and wife almost ended up with no husband or dad. Take your safety s*** and shove it

Posted via Mobile

If you were working in a location that you can fall 7 floors, you are required to wear a body harness attached to fall arrest equipment. Your life depends on it.
I can't believe your company never gave you fall arrest training! Or did they train you, but you just chose to not use the safety equipment?

Back